need help widows 8 is confusing at best

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by zen45, Nov 8, 2012.

1. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    1. ok I try to down load wallpapers from here I get a "access denied" from windows explorer!
    2. I try to install a theme pack downloaded from ms I get a pulldown menu asking which file to open it with it was supposed to install when I clicked on it or so I thought
    3. I try to install windows8-RT-kb917607-x64.msu "it to make the help file work in windows work. again I get a pull down window asking what to open it with, this is nuts the choices are u-torrent-adobe reader-note pad- paint
    some how I think the file association's are screwed up
    yep I think ms did it this time there driving me nuts
    windows 8 pro 64 bit 16 gigs ram

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Did you upgrade from 7 or fresh? Pictures also help, because what you wrote really does not help.
    If you did not upgrade and don't care to lose any installed programs, use the Refresh feature in Windows 8.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bootstap

bootstap MDL Member

Mar 25, 2012
    hi
    too much issues.
    i'm afraid u have to reinstall windows, cause it smells like registry base corrupted. registry base file association if altered is too hard to fix.

4. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    I did a refresh didn't change a thing, so I will try a format and a clean install I guess that's what I get for getting a legal copy of windows.
    my daz loader copy of win 7 worked serves me right for trying to go straight lol :biggrin:

5. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    ok did a full clean install now themes from ms we site can be downloaded and installed, themes I have already downloaded from them cant I still get the dropdown window
    and wallpapers from here can be downloaded so that part seems ok, on my desktop I can see my desktop ini file which means I can see protected windows files hmmmm
    well now to see what will and wont install on the games and programs ;) I think I will check the registry to see if anything is huckley buck, when I did the install I told it to format the hard drive there shouldn't be any old crap on the hard drive but some times windows wont listen and does what it wants lol
    thanks for the help :biggrin: