Need help Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by AnthonyStark, Jul 27, 2016.

1. AnthonyStark

AnthonyStark MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2015
    Excuse me I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I really need help with this, I am planning to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on a newly bought laptop with Windows 10 Home preinstalled, could you give me some information about activation, can I possibly obtain an HWID activation without going through Windows 7/8.1 activate then upgrade process, and if that isn't possible how can I activate a Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro? Just an additional note, I tried to use this KMS_VL_ALL script but it says that the product key wasn't valid for my machine. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

2. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #2 dobbelina, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    I assume with a HWID already registered with/as Home on MS servers your probably stuck with it.
    This stuff is bound to your hardware.
    If you had a machine that never had been "HWID'ed" before, MS don't know your HWID and therefore you can upgrade
    from any eligible hardware/machine with any flavour of Windows of your choosing.
    (preferably one that entitles you to Pro offcourse)

If anybody think i'm wrong, i'm always humble for contradictory information :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #3 lobo11, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    All these can be down loaded, in QUICK LINKS in my sig, go by number
    You can buy a upgrade to Win Pro, or format and install win 7 #9, activate with DAZ's loader #7, you don't have to go to 8.1 anymore 7-10, once activated on 7, win 10 enter no keys when it asks (2) times, skip it
    or #23

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. AnthonyStark

AnthonyStark MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2015
    Thank you for suggesting appreciated it but I know about that Windows 7 to Windows 10 process what I want to know is how to obtain a digital entitlement just between Windows 10 Home and Pro, excluding procedures that uses previous Windows versions, so you mean to say there's no other way to obtain digital entitlement of Windows 10 Home to Pro upgrade without cashing out?

5. dobbelina

Apr 2, 2009
    #5 dobbelina, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Hi lobo11!

I've been thinking about this.
    I have successfully activated a few computers with Daz loader on Win 7, that validated fine after a Win 10 upgrade.
    However, those were all machines that never had been fingerprinted (gatherosstate "HWID'ed") before.
    MS must have a reason to abandon the bios route, as Daz loader inserts a fake OEM SLP table and certificate into a protected memory area when the computer boots.
    Therefore making that protection scheme useless.
    What i mean is, if you have a OEM machine with Win 10 Home installed, and try the format and
    Win 7 Ultimate => Win 10 Pro upgrade, the fingerprint will be matched to Win 10 Home anyway, as MS no longer
    looks at the bios.
    Hence making the roundtrip unsuccessful.

Once a machine has the fingerprint in MS database, you can format and re-install without a serial, and it gets recognized and validated automatically without any input.
    (Assuming it's the right version as belonging to the fingerprint, otherwise activation will probably fail.)

Just my thought :rolleyes:

6. dobbelina

Apr 2, 2009
    #6 dobbelina, Jul 28, 2016
    Sorry for replying to my own thread, but i've been doing some more thinking (Ya, can you believe it :D )

Maybe TS should try the Win 7 Ultimate + DAZ loader => Win 10 upgrade anyway.

Reason being this scenario:

TS buys a OEM Win 10 Home computer and Isn't satisfied.
    He/She then purchases a Windows 7 Ultimate license instead and installs that.
    When the free upgrade option now soon expires he/she then changes her/his mind to upgrade anyway.

It's definitively worth a try, as it's a possible scenario.

Sorry for not thinking clearly the first time :eek:

7. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    The problem with above scenario is that DAZ loader set key status as OEM_SLP which is a dead giveaway on a recent hardware as no recent hardware should have a win 7 OEM_SLP key.The scenario you described is only valid if key status is shown as Retail.

8. gozmon

gozmon MDL Junior Member

Feb 6, 2016
    I can confirm it works with daz
    Laptop came with w8 Home (uefi key). Downgraded to 7 activated with daz, upgraded to 10 pro. Formated and clean install 10

My question is:
    I want to upgrade another laptop that came with windows 8 home to windows 10 pro
    Im going to format the hdd and install windows 8 pro first and activate with kmspico. Im trying this route since is much simpler than downgrading to 7

My question is can you install windows 8 without product key? and does windows 8 kms activated gets a legit upgrade to 10 like w7 daz does?

9. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    win 8.1 is eligible for free upgrade to win 10 & fresh install of win 8.1 requires a key unless it is there in bios & it won't work if key in bios is for win 8.0 which requires fresh install of 8 followed by update to 8.1(there are generic 8.1 keys for install easily available).

10. gozmon

gozmon MDL Junior Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Ok just got a win pro key from the net. Its installing now. SOme questions though
    1 After the install is done what will happen? will MS lock me out because of generic key?
    I plan to activate with kmspico so i can upgrade to 10 and get a legit windows 10 pro license

11. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    After install is done you will see watermark at bottom right corner of screen indicating not activated status(generic keys are allowed by MS only for installation purposes not activation so they are fine).After that just use KMSPico or MTK(download from here only,forum--mdl projects--KMS tools section) to activate win 8.1.Once done,reboot & confirm win 8.1 properties page is showing status as activated(for further details type slmgr /dlv in command prompt & press enter). After that use win 10 iso to run the setup to upgrade.

12. gozmon

gozmon MDL Junior Member

Feb 6, 2016
    #12 gozmon, Jul 28, 2016
    Yep did it exactly like that, except for the iso. Im using MS upgrade w10 tool , to make sure it activates 10
    My following question is, after 10 upgrade is done do i need o install the updates to make sure MS registered my hw with the w10 license before performing a clean install (format)

13. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    Win 10 activates online only after MS servers receive HWID of the system & process it to enable activation of win 10.Whether updates are done or not after fresh install,that is irrelevant. P.S.By default the MS win 10 upgrade tool downloads setup files in C drive.

14. gozmon

gozmon MDL Junior Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Its just that i already successfully upgraded to w10 pro 4 laptops with w7 activated with daz loader that way. So traditions and all
    They all got a legit digital entitlement activation that perdures after a clean install

15. hidesan

hidesan MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2010
    I dare to comment this old thread to find bypass way for upgrading.
    (1) I have a Lenovo Thinkcentre which is delivered with W10home pre-installed.
    (2) Erased all the SSD and installed W7pro and activated with Daz loader.
    (3) Installed W10pro with an ISO file downloaded from Rufus on W7pro.
    (4) However, when I activated W10, it is W10home, not a W10pro.

According to this thread's convesation, HWID is already recorded in the MS database, therefore pre-installed HWID is still active for automated chooser of W10 version. So, I think W10 iso automatically choose w10home installation.
    Would it be possible for me to start with W10pro?

16. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
  17. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    At clean install (and in the past also at upgrading) on a system with a msdm for home, you will need to use either a pid.txt or an ei.cfg to avoid the auto selection of home.

For online upgrading best to read this:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...21h1-2-vb_release.80763/page-157#post-1601562

18. hidesan

hidesan MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2010
    kaljukass and Enthousiast,

Thank you for your kind instruction.
    It was so lucky of me, I could convert W10home to W10pro by using 3V66T key.
    And I'm still considering for reinstall by ei.cfg method.
    Or, moreover, Yen instructed to use "gatherosstate.exe" and "GenuineTicket.xml" method.

19. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    What does that have to do with upgrading from 10 Home to Pro?

That's an old, now obsolete, method to skip upgrading from an activated 7/8.1 to 10 to get a free hwid, check my sig for the tools to do that on the fly without first installing 7 and...