Need help with Dell 17 7746 touchpad

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by JBenal, Jul 7, 2015.

1. JBenal

JBenal MDL Senior Member

Nov 2, 2009
    I just got this Dell 17 7746 laptop and I'm very unhappy with it at the moment and Dell Tech Support hasn't been able to help me. In every laptop I've used - Windows or Linux - I can quickly double-tap the top border of a window and then drag it, doing the entire thing with one finger. That's not working on this laptop. I can only drag a window by grabbing the border with the touchpad and holding down the left mouse button. I asked tech support if the laptop has an Alps or Synaptec touchpad hoping so I could get the correct drivers, but I was told it's a "Dell touchpad". Can anyone suggest anything I can try before I put this back in the box and send it back? Also, it would help me to search online if I knew what this motion or click sequence is called. Thanks!

Edit: It's Windows 8.1

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. JBenal

JBenal MDL Senior Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Double tap and drag (or click and drag) is what I'm talking about. Just had a brain fart because I'm so frustrated with this computer and with Dell tech support. Anyway, after 1.5 hours on the phone the guy tells me that my new laptop has a "precision touchpad" and he talked to Microsoft who told him that as of Windows 8.1 Microsoft no longer supports the precision touchpad. I find that very hard to believe. Also, I find it hard to believe that Dell is shipping computers with the precision touchpad and Windows 8.1 without providing a proprietary driver for the touchpad. very :mad: very :mad:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    Windows f to search(everywhere).. Mouse. Then click touchpad settings.

4. Ascii2

Ascii2 MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2015
    #4 Ascii2, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    It appears that Dell has not publicly provided the touchpad vendor information.

Use Unknown Device Identifier 9.0 to detect the hardware and available IDs and known vendor information on the system. You can save the information to an easily searchable text document. EDIT: Please note that running the application installs an Internet shortcut to its vendor website and every time the application is run.

Unknown Device Identifier (remove spaces of coded information)
    Code:
    h ttp://w ww.zhangduo.com/unknowndeviceidentifier.html

5. JBenal

JBenal MDL Senior Member

Nov 2, 2009
    After going around with the Dell tech for almost two hours and asking him whether the touchpad was Alps or Synaptics, he finally find out it's Alps. I downloaded the latest Alps driver and now in device manager it shows up as Alps Pointing Device. BUT! Click and drag still does not work. And there's no Alps control panel. I was disgusted and slammed the lid and left it for the night. This morning I pop in a Windows 10 USB stick and the first dialog box that pops up I do a click and drag - and it works! I'm very relieved to see that it's not a hardware problem. So I guess I run it with Windows 10 until RTM, then restore Windows 8 and get the official Windows 10 upgrade.

[RANT]As a side note, I've been a Dell user forever. All the computers in my house are Dell. When I worked at a University I bought only Dell servers. But now I'm losing faith in them. This is my third 17" Inspiron laptop. The first one worked perfectly and had two drive bays. When it got tired I bought a 17R and it worked perfectly, but I was disappointed to find it had only one drive bay. But it had a mSATA SSD slot, so I bought one of those and moved on. This 7746 has one drive bay and no mSATA slot. Now I have to buy a new, bigger SSD because my current 256 gig won't cut it without a second internal drive of some sort. Dell, you're losing me. [/RANT]

6. JBenal

JBenal MDL Senior Member

Nov 2, 2009
    #6 JBenal, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Thanks. I'll give it a try. Curious to see what it comes up with.