Need help with TOR...

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by pawgod, Dec 6, 2013.

1. pawgod

pawgod MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2013
    Im trying to get Tor to work with Skype because skype apparently leaks your IP address, and for various reasons i really, really, dont want that, but i have no choice but to use skype, the only thing Tor's page says is that its not recommended (so i guess its possible, just not recommended) Does anyone know how? if someone were to use a tool that shows active TCP connections connections theyd find my IP, and then im doomed, i just want to mask my IP from people that i talk with on skype, could anyone help? :(

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    VPN ?

You can't be traced to your home address by your IP you know, only your ISP can find out your address, most people can do with your IP is find out your ISP and a location somewhere within 50 miles or so, sometimes further away

My IP trace shows me miles and miles away from where I really am

3. pawgod

pawgod MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2013
    But Tor is similar to a VPN? my ISP is sadly pretty damn close to where i live, all i really want is for the other person if they ever tried to see my IP it wouldnt be mine and theyd get a false lead

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
  5. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    You can use a skype client. Trillian will allow for skype connections so you can talk with ppl. IDK if it keeps ip safe though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. pawgod

pawgod MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2013
    This is irrelevant to the topic. What i want is for Skype to use Tor for privacy reasons, i dont have much of a choice but to talk to said person, wether i like it or not, if i could avoid them i would, but i cant, hence why this question.

7. pawgod

pawgod MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2013
    Isnt it basically a frontend for skype though? i remember Pidgin (app like Trillian) could connect to skype but basically it just was connecting to skype which had to be open, kinda defeating its purpose aside from having skype contacts in pidgin

8. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Of course you can avoid them, turn off Skype

If you see them in real life outside because of work or school, then so be it, but you always have a choice with a PC

I don't understand these people who feel they are stuck associating with people online, kids who commit suicide because they were bullied online, TURN OFF THE FKIN PC!

If you are getting s**t from someone outside, tell the cops

9. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #9 Humphrey, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    That is of course how it would work. IF IT DID WORK.

11. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Expert

Jun 17, 2009
    Doesn't Tor really slow down ones internet connection greatly?

12. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    Seems that Facebook does not want to work with TOR browser...:D

13. pawgod

pawgod MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2013
    Cant be slower than mine, my internet is 1/Mbps, wouldnt be that bad by my standards

14. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Expert

Jun 17, 2009
    Mine stinks too down 58/Mbps and up 40/Mbps so I hear you.

15. pawgod

pawgod MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2013
    You know what i just realised? i didnt even need Tor or a VPN in the first place! Apparently in skype's latest update (i was running an older version, mainly to avoid those annoying ads) the option to "Allow direct connections to your contacts only" is what i needed! (person i dont want to know where i live isnt on my contacts ofcourse, lol...)

But thanks alot for anyone that helped me out here! :D

16. Hoppyah

Hoppyah MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    use TOR without the browser.

17. pawgod

pawgod MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2013
    for Skype i dont think it accepts using a proxy at all tbh, i used a VPN and Skype got a fit and refused to sign me in until i got off the VPN