Need help with Toshiba Vista install

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Luteman, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Luteman

Luteman MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2012
  2. Luteman

Luteman MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2012
    Thanks for your quick reply, but when I run Windows Loader it tells me to install the cert manually. I can't do this because I can only boot into safe mode - or am I missing a trick here?

3. Luteman

Luteman MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2012
    Thanks again for your help. I haven't tried safe mode w/command prompt - although I did try normal safe mode then opened CMD. The script failed with a security message, which I believe is usual for safe mode.
    I'll try later in the week - got v.early start at work in the morning, so no time to do it now.
    And no, I don't see any way to boot normally - I only get the option to enter another key (which presumably must be a retail one, which I don't have) or go online to buy another licence.
    BTW, Toshiba will supply the recovery DVD for £30 . . . that would definitely be the last resort :weeping:

4. Luteman

Luteman MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2012
    SOLVED. My issue was that unless I booted Vista into Safe Mode, it would only offer reduced functionality mode (i.e. Internet Explorer) and none of the tools here worked in Safe mode.

However, I found that if I started Vista with reduced functionality, I could navigate from the IE address bar to C:\Windows, load explorer.exe and get to my desktop.

From there, all the tools worked - I did the following:
    - opened a command prompt and ran SLIC_Toolkit to determine the correct XRM-MS file for this machine (TOSINVTOSINV00.xrm-ms)
    - ran SLMGR -rearm which enabled me to boot with the 30 day grace period (this step was unnecessary, but I was feeling my way forward)
    - finally ran SLMGR -ilc C:\TOSINVTOSINV00.xrm-ms
    - WGA now reports Vista as genuine

Many thanks to acrsn for his helpful and generous advice. This is a great forum - users of many other forums could learn from the way members here help others.