need help with upgrading Windows To Go 9841 to 9860

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by hpvn9x, Nov 3, 2014.

1. hpvn9x

hpvn9x MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2012
    :worthy: hi there, my problem is
    + I installed 9841 to my old Laptop, then it died, so I connect that old HDD to a HDD-box and continueing using old 9841 on a new Laptop because it works fine, better than a Windows To Go version of W8.1
    + I'm using cellular network, each SMS for registering DATA, I have a limited only 1GB, so after 3 times attempt upgrading 9841 to 9860, not-brilliant-enough Windows Update can't download a full Preview build 9860 file for upgrading my system (time after time Windows download ~1GB of new data and store in C:\Windows\Software\Distribution\Download)
    + So I download 9860.0.141008-........esd from murphy, created an ISO file, trying to upgrade but Microsoft says I can't do it on an USB o_O
    + Last try, I copy and rename .esd file to replace temp files in C:\Windows\Software\Distribution\Download but this still don't let me have a chance, Windows keep starts download from beginning and overwrite my good temp files :eek:
    :worthy: what should I do now?? I had to disabled Windows Update service to prevent Windows from auto download that bullsh!t
    o_O and please don't tell me to replace my old HDD to my new Laptop as main HDD or put it into a PC with SATA cables, because new Laptop still in warranty period (+ hard to replace, not just take out some screw and remove the back panel, have to do a lot of complicated things first) and I had no PCs

2. hpvn9x

hpvn9x MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2012
    seems like you don't understand my case o_O
    I've drcrypted the esd file and exported to an ISO file and then use that ISO item for upgrading, both method (1. Run Setup file when running Windows 9841) and (2. Boot to 9860 disc and select custom install) didn't work

3. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    The method running setup from running 9841 system should work normaly you can choose upgrade from there :tea:

Can you be more specific what happens when you do that ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. hpvn9x

hpvn9x MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2012
    s20.postimg.o r g/sf62b4o3h/Screenshot.png
    windows.microsoft.c o m/en-US/windows-8/system-requirements

Attached Files:

5. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    From the few times I've seen this issue, it's fair to say you have to re-install 9860 on a target system and then re-run the Windows To Go program again for the USB.
    There doesn't seem to be a way to upgrade the Windows To Go USB directly.

7. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi hpvn9x,
    This is the route of your problem.
    You don't have a 'Windows To Go' install of Windows on your HDD. You have a standard install, which has used Windows Update to allow it to work from your HDD caddy. (If you did this with Windows 8.1 Core/Pro it would complaining about activation by now)

While I don't fully understand how Windows To Go installs, I do know it uses a different install process which is why its very 'picky' about what drives it will install on.

The only real option for what you want is to connect the HDD (temporally) to a Laptop/PC as a 'fixed' HDD and do an upgrade, then put it back to its caddy.

You could convert the install on your HDD to a VHD and then transfer it to your Laptop/PC and upgrade it as a Virtual PC then run it as a VHD from your Caddy. Although it would be quicker and easier to do a clean VHD install if you go that route.

Lastly you could use ImageX to apply the .WIM to the HDD in the Caddy and make it bootable, but again that means a clean install.

8. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    #9 Hadron-Curious, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Code:
    1) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

2) change the value PortableOperatingSystem to “0” from 1

9. xslord

xslord MDL Junior Member

Sep 13, 2009
    I have never had any "severe" issues creating/using a "Windows To Go" installation on any drive (as long it was an USB attached HDD or SSD)
    There are various method to create a "Windows To Go", the most easiest one is using "Windows To Go" options from the "Control Panel", the only pre-requisite is that you use an Enterprise version (although when using alternative methods this requirement is not necessary!)

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #11 pisthai, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    The REAL Windows To Go is down only from an installed Windows Enterprise Version and that applies for the TP of Windows 10 as well.

To upgrade an installed Build on an USB Windows to Go Workspace is simply impossible. That said,k if you jave an Windows 10 TP Enterprise Build 9841 installed on Master and than created an Windows to Go from it on an UDB 3.0 device, you have to stick with that version because Upgrade isn't possible. Only way would be a new clean installation of Windows to Go on the USB 3.0 Device. For that I'm not sure yet that it could be done from within and to build 9860 updated Windows 10 TP Enterprise builds 9841?!

As I've the same problem and reported it already, I haven't try that yet, just plan to do that within this week. It's just a matter of time to do so!