Need Help with XP Activation

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Healy, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Healy

Healy MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2013
    Hello,

I've a Microsoft Dreamspark account and a Windows XP SP3 key from the same. I've installed it on my PC (also activated) and I used the same key and CD to install it on my cousin's PC (but not activated).

1. Now, if I activate XP on his PC, will that cause a problem?
    2. Are keys somehow tied to ISO files? If no, can I just get a new Dreamspark key and replace the old one which I gave during installation?
    3. Should I just re-install the OS on his PC with a completely new CD?
    4. What are the options available to me at this point?

2. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
  3. Healy

Healy MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2013
    Thank you, steven4554. Here's what I did:

I've access to Windows XP SP3 and Windows XP SP1 on Dreamspark and both have different keys. I installed Windows XP SP3 on my cousin's PC, and then changed its product key to the key belonging to Windows XP SP1. It worked and Windows was activated.

Now, this is surprising because it implies that Dreamspark is handing out multiple valid keys for every OS. Similarly, there are two keys for Windows 7.

Is this a loophole or is it expected?

4. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    It does state that you will receive at least 2 keys for your chosen product, though some products may come with keys that you can only activate once. But I don't know if that extends to operating systems.

It may be a mistake by MS, but I don't expect them to do much about the XP side of things, since this OS will go out of support in about 4 months time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...