Need Microsoft Exchange Replacement

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by AnarethoS, May 2, 2013.

1. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi everyone!

I have my own domain name. Currently, I am using Kerio Connect for my email needs. I use it for the following :
    - Sync email/contacts/calendars/to do/notes between my 2 laptop
    - Sync email/contacts/calendars/to do with my 2 iPhone
    - Access everything from the web while on the go when I can't use my iPhone.

Since I use all that for only mayself (non profit), I always used a "cracked" version of Kerio. Sadly, starting with version 8.1, the Kerio craks (which came from the 6.X version) doen't work anymore.

I checked the price for Kerio : 675$ for the first year / 175$ per year after.

Way too much!

Is there any other solution that will give me the same thing (read : Microsoft Active Sync support + Web client + Outlook support) for less or for free?

The software MUST run on Windows, on a 32bits marchine (my server is too old to be 64 bits, and not power full enough to run a virtual machine) so we have to forget Zimbra. Anyway, it was still 600$

Thanks in advance for your help!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Why not just use exchange? The MAK serial numbers are easy to find if you look in the right places.

3. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    My server is too old to run 64bits software and only has 2gb of RAM. Exchange requires 64bits and at least 8gb of RAM.

You talk about MAK keys. Does Exchange requires activation with a M$ server or is it the same "old" way as XP VL / Office 2003 / 2010 and just a serial is OK to install?

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    You could get the 32 bit version of Exchange 2003 and it should work just fine (They say its for experimentation only but you can still fully use it, it just cant have as many roles and as heavy load as the 64 bit counterpart). As far as the MAK key goes, it a GVLK that doesn't need to connect to the web to activate (as verified with Exchange 2010).

5. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Well,

Exchange is a little too big for my needs. The Learning curve will be too high.

I am currently working on the following "solution" :
    - PIM sync through Funambol (Outlook with a free plugin and iOS through SyncML Pro)
    - Email (IMAP) through hMailServer

Saddly, for the "webmail" part, I was unable to find one that works with Windows which is compatible with Funambol for the contacts list. This means the WebMail part will have its own contact list. *sigh*

6. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Hopefully you find something that fits your needs for your webmail o_O

7. lewellyn

lewellyn MDL Novice

May 3, 2013
    I've been using Axigen, which works pretty well and they have a totally free option. If you need ActiveSync and an Outlook Connector, that's going to cost. But not $600. Visit their site and look for the free mail server page. :v:

(While this is my first post, I'm not affiliated with Axigen except as a user of their software. I just never registered for MDL since I never had anything constructive to add to any threads before. :camp_fire:)

8. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Well, finally I went for the following setup.

- hMail server for IMAP/SMTP needs
    - RoundCube for the WebMail part
    - OwnCloud for the file storage, calendar and contacts
    - OwnCloud plugin to integrate the RoundCube view in it
    - RoundCube plugin to integrate with OwnCloud contacts

On the client side, I use Thunderbird with Lightning (calendar) and the SOGO Connector to sync my contacts.

I have now more options, free software and everything still on Windows.

9. Syswatch

Syswatch MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2012
    Why not wait to see if the patch tool will be updated to work with version 8.1, and then stay on 8.0 until that happens ?

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Seems to be that you think he's talking about Windows 8.1! He didn't, what he's talking about is Kerio Mail Server version 8.1 or Kerio Connect, what the new name!

11. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    1 vote for Kerio Connect (formerly, Kerio MailServer) :D

Just my thought!!!

12. lenny_h81

lenny_h81 MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2014
    Hi!

It´s a shame you need Windows. If Linux was ok you could install open source Zentyal for free. Zentyal is a native drop-in replacement of Microsoft Exchange! So no plugins are needed, like the Kerio Outlook Connector. It rocks! I am a big Zenyal fan.

13. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
  14. vibhubhatnagar

vibhubhatnagar MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2015
    Thanks for the information nice efforts put in brother.:clap::clap:

15. MethoStar

MethoStar MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    The very best and fast mail server that i used, also exchange compatible is Zentyal Server (dev edition is free).