Need more power!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Death Runner II, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Death Runner II

Death Runner II MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2012
    I have been working on the HP Compaq dc5000 sff PC for a few months now. Got all the bugs worked out of the motherboard and OS, However now I have the issue of not enough power. HP only uses a 185W max output power supply in this case. and in default configuration it will run for awhile then get too hot and shutdown with a kernel power failure in Win 7

I hooked up an ATX power supply (loose) and it works fine cranked up. But the CPU fan wont work correctly because it requires a 2 pin control connection from the power supply to control CPU fan speed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on an appropriate replacement that will fit in the case?
    This is what I'm working with:
    185 WATT Switching Power Supply.jpg c00750834.jpg
    Thanks

2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    That's a tough one because of the age. If it were me I would look @ the IBM m-50 thinkcentre (8187) pwr supply off e-bay it went to 275w I believe.

3. Death Runner II

Death Runner II MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2012
    I only have a 3 11/16" X 1 3/4" Opening in the back of the case, and about 13 1/2" deep inside the case. There is only 1 screw that holds it to the case back. Problem is I can't modify the case back to fit another size because of the design of the PCI hold down. After it gets inside the case it can go as wide as 3" to 3 1/4" instead of the 1 3/4" but not taller because it will interfere with the motherboard placement. I will continue to try and find a suitable replacement but I feel its best to get rid of the small form factor case and go up to an ATX style. However its not my PC so finding a power supply that fits in this case is more critical to the owner.
    :confused: