Need ROM file for Dell E6420 BIOS

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by shahzebb, Apr 4, 2013.

1. shahzebb

shahzebb MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2013
    I have searched a lot to extract rom and hdr from exe of the dell BIOS but all my effort went in vain.

Can someone please give me the ROM files and also show me how its done.

Dell E6420 BIOS. E6420A08.exe E6420A07.exe or similar.

Regards.

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    its almost impossible .. best way is a working laptop to do a backup.

3. JimboBobB

JimboBobB MDL Novice

May 2, 2013
    It's not impossible, it's just that apparently no one on this forum has actually worked to extract the ROM from the update applications. I've started this, and know the location where the compressed data is, but I need some more eyes on it to help figure out a) how to manually decompress or b) to help me figure out where the decompressed data is appearing in memory so it can be dumped one chunk at a time. Note that the signature I've found that locates compressed data seems to be relevant for E6410-E6430. So LatinMcG, since you're an experienced user, I would appreciate it if you could poke other experienced users and get them in touch with me so we can work on it. Thankyou

4. drgn997

drgn997 MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2008
    Hi,
    there are some interesting strings in the "exe" file, for example: "inflate 1.2.3 Copyright 1995-2005 Mark Adler", the problem is that the compressed data has an offset, I tried to use many unzip utilities without success for this same reason. Also had been looking for a solution to extract the bios from a Dell bios update exe, that's for newer models, found a utility named "offzip.exe" which searches the complete exe file looking for compressed data and extracts it. For example, working with E6420A12.exe file I'm able to extract compressed data of 9,312,985 bytes, that's 8.88MBytes, the bios file for E6420 is only 8MB so if you have a dump of a corrupted bios it will be good to compare it against it and know where to cut. 16 bytes before the end of a bios there's usually a JMP or a NOP, in this case I believe is:

E9 97 2E 83 55 36 0B 8C 26 43 47 7A 12 37 7F 0A @ 823A87h

Decompressed file starts with: PFS.HDR

Now that the bios file is extracted and decompressed I can read some interesting strings off it, strings like the ones found in any other bios.

offzip.exe = Offset file unzipper 0.3.5

Command:
    c:\offzip -a E6420A12.exe bios 0

where:
    "-a" unzip all the possible zip data found in the file
    "E6420A12.exe" is the executable bios update from which we want to extract the bios/compressed data
    "bios" is the subdirectory where to extract the files
    "0" is the file offset from where to start looking for compressed data

DRGN997

5. JimboBobB

JimboBobB MDL Novice

May 2, 2013
    I got this working, I posted my code to

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/44785-I-present-you-a-tool-to-decompress-Dell-UEFI-BIOS?p=750992

But you were on the right track, you basically need to know the right offset to the file and then zlib decompress. But I had already found the signature the updater used via RE. I wish I knew bout offzip before :-/

6. JimboBobB

JimboBobB MDL Novice

May 2, 2013
    Oh, but the good thing about my script is you don't need to run it only on windows for linux folks like me :)

7. virus31

virus31 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2010
    Ok. I decompressed E6420A19.exe and I received .dat file. I updated SILC to 2.2 but how to update bios this file or how to compress to EXE

8. g_bacsi

g_bacsi MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2013
    Hi,

I got the same result. Now I got he BIOS hdr file but it starts with PFS.HDR. The dell firmware updater tool is expecting an RBU file.
    The older BIOS files have an $RBUT header. So the question is how do you write this PFS file to the BIOS?

thanks