Need Sith Master to bring laptop back to life please.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by scottiemedic, May 18, 2013.

1. scottiemedic

scottiemedic MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2012
    OK, so I think I phuqed up somewhere.
    I have a Sony VGN-NR120E (got it free for the kids to play flash games on Disney). I downloaded the modified SLIC 2.1 for it so I could load Win7, since I only have Pro keys left and don't feel the need for the lappy to have Pro on it.
    I then created a USB boot disk with the HP utility and DOS98 files since there was no OS on it, booted and ran "phlash16.exe /p BIOSFILE.wph" (I guess I shouldn't have done /p so I could see how it died!).
    Now, I hit the power button and get nothing. I can feel the HDD spinning up, the power LED is on, the battery LED comes on if I unplug the charger, but there is no output on the screen.
    I have removed the battery and charger, held the power button for 30 seconds to discharge any residual power and still nothing. I have NOT taken out the CMOS battery yet. I have NOT hooked to an external monitor either to see if the inverter or LCD pooped out coincidentally.
    Anyone have any idea how to resurrect Queen Padme? Thanks in advance! :confused:

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #2 LatinMcG, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013
    wincris method aka crisdisk with phlash16 should work with R0131J9.WPH renamed to BIOS.WPH .. put in the crisdisk folder.. then create crisdisk.

win B should be the key to boot recovery

3. scottiemedic

scottiemedic MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2012
    First off, thanks for getting me on the right track. But I am having some issues. I've downloaded numerous crisdisk files, and finally found one that will allow me to choose a USB drive instead of floppy.
    The question, can the Crisis Disk be made on Windows 7 x64? The 'makeboot.exe' keeps giving me errors for 64 bit compatibility when I try to run it manually after adding the files, since when I use 'wincris', it does the formatting, but no files are being copied.
    I've run as Admin and even went to XP SP3 compatibility mode and still nothing, so I don't know if it's a x86/x64 problem. I can load a 32 bit XP in a VMWare session if I need to , but am trying to not have to IF i don't have to :)
    Or, do you have a good link for a crisdisk zip or rar that you can give me for a 'known good' set that can create a USB key or zip a copy of the one you use/have used? Should I partition the USB (1GB) to a 1.44MB partition?
    I know, a lot of questions, but now that I've started, I'm too AR and OCD to give up, but since I can't find a zip that was specially made for the VGN-NR120 with the exact BIOS I'm using to take the easy road out, now I have to blurt out a bunch of questions to ya!! haha
    Thanks for the help, hope you can answer the questions I have and get me set straight, the future of disneyjunior.com for a 4 year old is at stake (mainly so I can have my laptop back, as he steals mine!)

Scottie

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011