Need solutions to extend drive space on Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Dave452, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Dave452

Dave452 MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2014
    Hello, guys. How can I extend my C drive successfully on my Windows 8? I have tried to do that in Disk Management. But, the “Extend volume” option is just grayed out. Do you have any solution for me? Thanks in advance!

2. manu198045

manu198045 MDL Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Dear Dave452,

In order to extend the C partition you need to have unused space in your hard drive next to C drive. If you have other partitions then try to shrink those partitions to create unused space to extend C. You can also move your personal files in the C drive like in my documents,downloads,pictures and in desktop to some other partitions to get more space in C. Also use CCleaner to remove temporary files.

Regards,

Manu

3. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    And the next step is not to use windows to do it. Go grab some third party software to make this happen.

4. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Even if there is a partition next to C: and you can shrink it, Disk Management doesn't provide for moving that partition. You'll need an app. for moving partitions. I believe AOMEI has a free program that can reliably move partitions.

5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. hellowasif

hellowasif Guest

Use partition guru as simple as that...!!!

7. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    The standard method available in diskmgmt.msc doesn't often provide good results because it won't *MOVE* stuff. You have to have unpartitioned space to extend the partition to.
    I'd actually recommend what these other guys are recommending and using a partitioning software program. Those programs can and do move stuff around so that you can resize and extend your partition.

It's really just not possible to do these various different things without a custom partition program.

8. Corey4972

Corey4972 MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2014
    The "Extend" option only works when the unallocated disk space is continuously behind the partition you select to extend. That’s why you cannot extend your drive in Disk Management.

But, don’t be depressed! If so, you also can back up all drive data and choose a third-party partition resizing utilities to help you out, like GParted, IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free and Paragon Partition Master, etc.

No matter which tool you will choose to use, you’d better firstly back all drive data well in case of any unwanted data loss in the resizing process.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The only useful solution is the use of an third party Partitioning Manager like EaseUS or some like that. There a lot freeware available, so no need to pay any money for it! The Windows build in Drive Management is very limited and couldn't do what the OP is looking for.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. eydee

eydee Guest

I don't think apps can do it, they run in a sandbox, have no admin privileges etc. :p

Gparted is the way to go.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I think you're wrong! I start an Partition Manager as administrator with no problems! Gparted isn't bad but many users even didn't know how to work with that!

12. eydee

eydee Guest

No, I'm not wrong, you just don't understand irony/pun.

App = windows store crap
    Program = you know what it is

13. Drew44689

Drew44689 MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2014
    In your case, a third partition resizing tool can be a good solution for you.
    I hope this video tutorial can help you extend your drive successfully:
    youtube.com/watch?v=6jCeT7CbsKk
    Never forget to back up all important data well before the resizing process.