Need some advice regarding legit/Daz Loader upgrade options...

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Y314K, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Y314K

Y314K MDL Junior Member

May 25, 2014
    Got myself a Refurbish Acer Aspire Switch 10 SW5-012-13TT that includes a free Windows 10 upgrade... Plan to use it as my daily web surfer & for most things that don't require a lot of power. From the reviews it seems to handle most things including multitasking very well.

SW5-012-13TT Specs:
    Acer Aspire Switch 10 SW5-012 10.1" Laptop 2GB 64GB | SW5-012-13TT

Product Specifications

• Screen Size: 10.1"
    • Screen Resolution: 1280 x 800
    • Processor Type: Intel
    • Processor Model: Atom Z3735F
    • Processor Speed: 1.33GHz
    • Processor Core: Quad-core
    • Cache: 2MB
    • Operating System: Windows 8.1 with Bing 32-bit
    • System Memory (RAM): 2GB
    • RAM Expandable To: Not Available
    • Type of Memory (RAM): DDR3L
    • Hard Drive Type: SSD
    • Hard Drive Size: 64GB
    • Hard Drive RPM: Not Available
    • Optical Drive Type: Not Available
    • Optical Drive Speeds: Not Available
    • Digital Media Reader: Yes
    • Graphics: Intel HD
    • Video Memory: Shared
    • Built-in Webcam: Yes
    • Networking: Not Available
    • Wireless Networking: Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n
    • Bluetooth-Enabled: Yes
    • USB Ports: Not Available
    • Battery Life: 8hrs
    • System Version: 32-bit
    • HDMI Output: Not Available
    • Included Software: Not Available
    • Graphics Chip: Not Available
    • Display Screen Type: Active Matrix TFT Color LCD LED
    • Display Screen Technology: In-plane Switching (IPS) Technology
    • ENERGYSTAR Qualified: No
    • Dimensions: 10.3" x 0.4" x 7.0"
    • Product Weight: 2.6lbs
    • Product Number: SW5-012-13TT
    All the official drivers & OS are 32-bit. And it would upgrade from Windows 8.1 x86 to Windows 10 Home x86. Meaning that there wouldn't be any control over which/when updates (which I normally update anyway, with the exception of a few like Silverlight & Skype) would be installed. I've always run WU with "Check for updates but let me choose..". I wonder if upgrading to Windows 10 Pro will let us choose this option? I know there are tweaks for disabling WU on Home. But they seem to be all or nothing. So at best you delay letting W10 do what ever MS wants. But you can't choose which updates to take once you manually tell it to update. I wonder if the Pro version of Windows 10 actually lets you choose what updates you want to install & hide the rest like on W7?

My goal with this SW5-012-13TT was to keep it legit. But since MS in their NSA wisdom decided to take that basic control away for Home users. I am now looking into installing the Pro version of Windows 10 via the Daz Loader method when I upgrade. While keeping the option to go legit later on. There is no Window Key sticker on the device since it comes with W8.1 so it must keep the key in the recovery partition.

I am also looking to see if the SW5-012-13TT can handle a 64-bit OS. The chip on the SW5-012-13TT is a x64 chip but I have not been able to find x64 drivers for it or any info on how badly the 2GB's of ram (less shared Video Memory) might make a x64 OS run. Still researching that. If anybody has any info or recommendation or experience running Windows Pro x64 with a similar build/spec device. Please share.

So this are the steps I am looking to take: (Feedback would be appreciated)

1. Boot device & do a Restore Factory Settings from Acer Recovery Management. (This will do a clean install of Windows 8.1 - 32-bit & all their drivers & programs aka back to stock.)
    2. Create a Recovery Backup to USB stick. (To be able to restore back to stock if anything happens to the recovery partition)
    3. Do a license backup of the legit tokens with the latest version Microsoft Toolkit available. (Just in case something goes wrong with the recovery partition & USB Recovery Backup)
    4. Install Windows 7 Ultimate & activate with Daz Loader. Reboot & confirm successful activation. (Not sure if WU's need to be done. But I doubt it)
    5. Once W7U is properly activated. Do the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
    6. Verify that Windows 10 Pro is properly activated.
    7. Then do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. (Making sure to only wipe the main partition. Not touching any of the Recovery partition(s) )
    8. Run the Tweaks & mods to keep as much as possible private/local. Do not associate the Windows install with a live account. Keep it local
    9. Then I can create a modded ISO to install with WinReducer or thru some other method for better control.

Not sure if 1, 2, 3 need to change order to 3, 2, 1 or 2, 3, 1.

Let me know what I got wrong..:g:

2. jhonsnow

jhonsnow MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2015
    I don't think I ever got x64 Windows on my friends Acer. Daz + upgrade should be the best way to go or kms

3. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Loader does not work with Windows 8.1 so you would have to install 7.1

No choice on updates just delay in pro

4. jhonsnow

jhonsnow MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2015
    Can't edit my post but daz loader will not work because of ufei bios. Best option is stick with home or upgrade using kms to 8.1 to pro than upgrade to Windows 10

5. Y314K

Y314K MDL Junior Member

May 25, 2014
  6. blunden

blunden MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2009
    I think you can set Windows Update to act like you like using gpedit.msc. I just made that change but I haven't confirmed it it matches the old behavior 100% yet.

7. Y314K

Y314K MDL Junior Member

May 25, 2014
  8. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    You won't be able to select which updates you do or don't want and they will all eventually be installed no matter what edition you use.

In my opinion you'd be better off sticking with Windows 10 Home and enabling the metered connection setting.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Y314K

Y314K MDL Junior Member

May 25, 2014
    #11 Y314K, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    (OP)
    Right, I usually do all updates anyway. I just usually like to wait a few days just in case there is something that breaks things. Guess I can just use the tweak script to disable & just manually run updates once or twice a week. Bandwidth has never enter into my consideration.

10. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    The bandwidh setting is designed to stop Windows from using too much data. It'll achieve that by not downloading Windows updates automatically. It's a great solution as it doesn't effect web browsing or your download speed, so you shouldn't need any scripts :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. blunden

blunden MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2009
    That setting is only for connections that are actually metered though, isn't it?

12. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    It makes you use a metered connection, which will do the following.

• Windows Update will only download priority updates.
    • Apps downloading from Windows Store will be paused.
    • Tiles will stop updating live data from the Internet.
    • Offline files will not synchronize automatically through the Internet.
    Your download speed and web browsing usage is exactly the same. It only effects modern UI apps and updates.

If you Google search "Windows 10 updates with a metered connection" then you'll find lots of info on the subject.