Need some help for my nephews Dell Desktop with XP crash

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Nicholas440, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Nicholas440

Nicholas440 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    Hello guys,

I'm looking for a Dell original XP disc that has the Recovery console on it for my nephew. He has an older Dell desktop and he's not very computer savvy and manages to crash it somehow every so often. About 6 months ago it crashed and would not boot into Windows, and I looked at it for him, and it had a strange error I have not seen before, I did not write it down but it would bring up a menu similar to the Bios Setup menu and would not boot to XP at all, it would not even boot to Safe Mode, I don't know just what he did to crash it that way but I had an Original Dell CD that I downloaded from a site several years ago thats no longer around.

Anyhow, I simply put that CD in his Dell, and used the Repair function of that Recovery console on that CD and it was able to fix his installation and got it to boot back into his XP . Since then the CD got lost, and all the XP CD's I have do not have the Recovery on them like the Original Dell 32 bit no activation OEM that comes with a Dell. Mine are all XP Pro CD's that need a Key and need activated etc, and I don't think he's capable of doing this.

My question for you all is I have searched this forum from one end to the other about XP and I can't locate an Original Dell 32 bit XP Pro iso or files. I'd like to download an Original Dell ISO or the Files that I can just put on CD and send it to my nephew, so he can just pop it in and use the repair function as I showed him how to do the last time it crashed.

Does anyone know where I can get this XP ISO or the files ? I cannot use a Torrent because I received two warnings from the Media Corporation for downloading some movies recently with Bit Torrent and I had to delete Bit Torrent or my ISP was going to shut me down for downloading copyright material. So I'd like to know where I can get a copy of an original Dell XP so I can help my nephew out and get him back up and running without having to run a complete new install.

Does an original Dell XP iso or files still exist out there? I've looked for hours and come up empty. There are a lot of XP Pro files with SP3 even here in the repository, but I dont think thats what I need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'd like to get my nephew back online he's handicapped and the internet is one of the only things he has to keep him busy and in touch with his friends online.

Thank you all in advance, for any help on this...

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You can use a normal XP SP3 Pro disk to do repair install. Also there may be a recovery partition look up information for your model on dell site.

3. Nicholas440

Nicholas440 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    Thanks Urie, I'll try the XP SP3 Pro and hope I can fix it . I looked for a recovery partition last time I fixed it but there was none. Someone gave the Dell pc to my nephew and they upgraded the memory for him but Im not sure what they did to the partitions so I'll just try to get it up and running with SP3. I might have to do a complete new install which is why I was hoping to find the Dell disc that needs no WGA or Activation methods etc... The Dell XP disc I used the first time was one that you just pop in and install and you're all set, no CD Key no activations or anything just put it on and go.... So hopefully I can do a repair again and he will be happy not to lose his programs.

Thanks again, I think there is an SP3 here in the repository but I cant use any torrent files since I received 2 warnings for downloading movies via Bit Torrent so thats out I'll have to download some RAR files from somewhere.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  5. Nicholas440

Nicholas440 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    Thank you for your replies and info.... I have a Hirens Boot CD that has several utilities on it, and I tried the Fixboot, and Fixmbr, and that did not work. I'll have to get an XP SP3 cd somehow and burn it and he can use that. Problem is, I can't use any torrents, and I'm unable to locate any sites that have xp sp3 on them in the rar files like we used to download, seems those sites are all drying up or gone nowdays. Is there any way to get the XP Sp3 without using the torrent file? I will also try the Recovery console but I doubt it will work since the Hirens could not repair the mbr or the boot files , I think he's got some other type of problem due to the nature of the error. When his Dell boots up, instead of booting windows he gets a menu like you would if you went into the Bios setup, but it's not the Bios. I told him it would be best to wipe it and do a clean install.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    likely its booting dell diagnostics partition.
    make sure proper partition is active.. the boot.ini should say
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    if it has a diag partition in 1

by the way the model of the dell dimension ? ####