Need some help from Experts, and knowledge people from Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Deleted member 1019137, May 16, 2018.

1. #1 Deleted member 1019137, May 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2018
    Do you guys know an good Linux-Distro..

-> That is easy to use.
    -> Have frequently updates and kernel updates (+security updates..)
    -> That you can Customize the way you want it.
    -> Well confortable to use.. (Stable enough to use)
    -> Important thing: Linux-Distro (Code) that is checked by many people and verified as secure to use) ..
    -> Alternative to Windows 10 (not Linux mint, because i have problems with gnome-keyring-deamon if i log out or shutdown the PC that damn thing is not reacting,.. and there is possibly no fix for it.. many users have this problem)
    Because i've tried all well popular distro's but no one, surprise me really that much.. (but Xubuntu did.. but i'm not sure, want to try out other Distro's as well..)

lett me know
    Cheers! :)

2. DInK UK

DInK UK MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2018
    I know you don’t want to use Mint (Cinnamon) but have you tried Mint KDE?

I’ve used Mint KDE for so many years now with no issues whatsoever (except one update which borked USB devices :oops:)

3. I loved linux for the first time i used it, but then it gives me an issue that is stated above in my forum :) and i hope they fix it! and i want to try out other distros as well because maybe i fall in love with another one :D

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Don't know much about Linux or if this distro ticks your boxes, but ElementaryOS looks pretty cool, MacOS style

5. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I would suggest you go for Ubuntu because it has a large community and supports compared to any other distro out there,

6. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    I'm going to start by saying I'm a big fan of Linux Mint. I've been using it for almost 5 years now, ever since LM15 was released, and I'm a member of the Linux Mint forum. I'm aware of the problem with the gnome-keyring-daemon running at shutdown and have to admit it is irritating, but from what I understand it only affects people using the Cinnamon desktop. Some people on the forum claim it only occurs when you have more than one kernel installed, while others dispute that claim. I experience it about once in every 20-25 shutdowns, and the work-around is to open the Terminal and enter "sudo shutdown now" in order to force a shutdown. Hopefully this issue will be fixed with the release of LM19 with Cinnamon 3.8 next month.

That being said, if I had to choose an alternative to using Linux Mint, I would seriously consider either elementary OS (Ubuntu-based) or Manjaro (based on Arch).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I use Manjaro Deepin because feels like OS X :D and is enough stable. This distro deserves 1-th rank at Distrowatch!

8. harvest

harvest MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2018
    +1 for manjaro. I like gnome but this time I choose Manjaro KDE.
    i3wm is also interesting minimalist environment.

9. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    #11 Hadron-Curious, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Actually, Manjaro Deepin is based on unstable Debian kernel.

10. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    Yes, but is working ! Installed with Architect.

11. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Sure, it will work but with little supports when you run into issues. For example issue with Bluetooth's send and receive, sharing, etc.

12. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    That is the point: I had no isssues...until now :D

13. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Dude Guyman

Dude Guyman MDL Senior Member

Jun 20, 2017
    #18 Dude Guyman, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    My experiences with Linux since Windows 10 came out and I started checking it out again in preparation for when Windows 7 is no longer usable...

TLDR: Xubuntu (Xfce rocks). Least buggy, most compatibility. 18.04 is good but I bet 18.04.1+ will be rock solid.

1. I love Xfce desktop, so anything I use will have that. All the others were too bloated, buggy, generally annoying, or just don't have the features/settings I want.
    2. I wanted to avoid all *buntu flavors, but sadly, if you want more compatibility, games/programs to work with it, ability to add PPAs, stay with a *buntu. Lot's of programs have Ubuntu packages and using other bases means not having them or trying to compile them yourself. Huge PITA.
    3. Manjaro, MX Linux, Atergos, Ubuntu MATE were really nice, but every time I tried them something or another was always broken. Always. Example: Manjaro absolutely refused to open any .BMP image. If I double clicked an imagename.bmp, Ristretto (or other image viewer) would randomly open another other-imagename.jpg in the same folder...WTF?!?! Also they replaced gksu with zensu...and it did not work...at all. Just nice looking but buggy as @#$%.
    4. Solus seems like one to watch, but is still new(ish) and lacking software packages and does not have an Xfce flavor. It also forces ext4 (Linux+force=NO!) file system at install and I need ext3 for backup imaging (have not found imaging software that handles ext4 properly yet).
    5. I liked Mint Xfce really well up to 17.3. Since then they have been bloating it up with their own forks of software (Xapps) that I do not like. It also does not play nice with my Nvidia card and deletes/renames the xorg.conf file after reboot which breaks my settings. I've been getting a lot of terminal errors (accessibilty bus, etc) and several other minor but annoying bugs in it too that make me think there is some wonky, hackjob custom code going on in it. Just generally sloppy.
    6. So Xubuntu it is! The default greybird theme is not great, but that's easily changed (Numix-Blue is nice).

15. shrinivas

shrinivas MDL Member

Apr 10, 2015
    #19 shrinivas, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Have tried most of Linux distros,
    would like to recommend LinuxLite, a derivative of Ubuntu, works well on most hardware (some Linux distros don't have wireless drivers for some chipsets)

16. suprakabi

suprakabi MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2017
    Go for Manjaro Linux KDE version. It have regular update and very user friendly. It is based on arch linux. It is secure, customizable, smooth, light on system and big community support. Give it a try I am using it.