Need some help to recover an old NEC ami bios for a Gigabyte 6omm7e...bricked!

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by noone.1, Jul 25, 2020.

1. noone.1

noone.1 MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2012
  2. DiskWizard

DiskWizard MDL Novice

May 23, 2012
    Hello ! Just a suggestion.
    If you have Seagate HDD it might be its fault, nothing to deal with BIOS, try to disconnect HDD first.
    In my over 20 years pratice I have never seen anything like that what cannot be solved using JP18 in your case.

3. noone.1

noone.1 MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2012
    thank you for you suggestion but hdd is western digital and was already disconnected since the beginning. (a precaution I took because some dos img I tested where installer not ramdrive...)

Maybe I make smthg wrong with the jumpers or maybe the copy of the bios on the MB is also corrupted, don't know

4. DiskWizard

DiskWizard MDL Novice

May 23, 2012
    If this doesnt work, try to rename bios file to AMIBOOT.ROM

5. DiskWizard

DiskWizard MDL Novice

May 23, 2012
    Anyways, EEPROM burner will surely do the trick.

6. noone.1

noone.1 MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2012
    #7 noone.1, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    (OP)
    tried all that (both names, both modes):
    in normal mode: it doesn't try to read/restore bios, it can just boot an image from a floppy if any
    in recovery mode: still just the first screen appear (press del to enter setup) and seems frozen, it doesn't try to read any bios file on the floppy

does it exist a version of 'EEPROM burner' for floppy?
    ok, I understand what it is :)... no way I use a 'soldering iron'...

7. DiskWizard

DiskWizard MDL Novice

May 23, 2012
    You have to search thru necropostings on Internet then to find out the correct recovery file name expected by BIOS.

8. noone.1

noone.1 MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2012
    necropost lol, unfortunately I feel it becomes harder and harder to find something with the current web search engines plus many very good sites/forums of the good ol'times disappeared with their knowledge and database...

after you told me about 'eeprom burner', I started to be scared finding things like 'bus pirate' and asking my self how the hell does this work...

Anyway, good news : I succeeded!!! forget about all the tricks more or less occult, the solution was just to use the 'good' version of awdflash: I tried some and then v. 8.52 and it very simply and smoothly worked! with last bios F9 (I found the tool in 'bnobtc v5' archive somewhere on MDL)

note that finally the first report (made with Aida) saying bios was AMI 2.0G (before all the mess start) was then a mistake!

thank you for your advice

9. noone.1

noone.1 MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2012
    #10 noone.1, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    (OP)
    I may have spoken too fast: I was happy to be able to enter back in the bios setup and load fail-safe default.

But then, after reboot the MB emits a continuous bip and there are 2 warnings on screen:
    -one I already have since the beginning of the troubles: "check system health: Vcore 1.7V"
    -and a new one, I cant find any info on it: "main memory clock is 100MHz" (the bip start at the same time this warnings appears)

According to the bip meanings I found, a continuous bip warns about a problem with the ram cpu temp

note, bios id is now 01/29/2002-i815-ITE8712-6A69RG0IC-00

Clear cmos seems to work now, it tells CRC error and loads default

edit:

so, don't know why but first bios was accepting any disquette while the last accepts only bootable ones

I found a 12 year old topic on the net where different people where having exact same problem with this motherboard. Problem is the computer manufacturer's bios (NEC) is not the motherboard manufacturer's bios (gigabyte), but no more support from NEC (send email...)

So maybe if someone passing by can provide me with a copy of the original bios from NEC not Gigabyte for this ga-6omm7E rev2.0...

last edit :)

According to Aida, the temp probe model is shared with the 6oxm7 MB. On gigabyte site we can see that its F4 bios fixes it, that should not have been the case for the 6omm7e; but it's just an error of reading (80°C/173°F!).

So, disable temp reading and warnings in the bios (everything in 'PC Health Status' menu in the bios) , this disable the annoying beep and just don't use the 'read' value in the bios any more. By the way Aida, or else, gives the correct temperature (30°C).

That's it. end of the mess, period. ;)