Need some help with Computer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by anotherboy22, Mar 24, 2010.

1. anotherboy22

anotherboy22 MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2010
  2. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
  3. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Do you have any hidden files there? Enable both "show hidden files" and "show protected operating system files". That will tell you what you have on it. BTW why do you have windows installed in your D:\ drive?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. herrkarl

herrkarl MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Show us a printscreen of diskmanagement, as timesurfer already suggested.

Start - Computer (rightclick) - manage (if asked allow this click yes) - Disk management

If you do not install Windows 7 to C:, it puts its boot files on C: anyway and the rest of the Windows files on the drive you told it to install (we want to know where your system drive is in diskmanagement)

If you remove C: in this scenario, Windows can't boot anymore and you have to repair this.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, it is better for you to backup your important data from C: and D: to an external drive (usb harddisks are pretty cheap nowadays or if you have less than 8 GB, you can use an even cheaper USB stick and copy your data onto it)

Boot from your Win7 DVD, if asked where to install Windows 7, delete all partitions from your harddisk and let Windows do the rest.

5. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    +1, my thought exactly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. thedonofdeath

thedonofdeath MDL Member

Oct 6, 2009
    all are good ideas. still waiting though.... i am to impatient lol

7. anotherboy22

anotherboy22 MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2010
    @timesurfer When I looked on C there was no windows.old file. I installed 7 on my laptop not too long ago, and it had a windows.old file, so I knew it was going to happen, but it didnt this time..

@thedonofdeath I backed up all my files to an external harddrive. Sorry if i didnt make that clear.

@sam3971 I have all the hidden files shown. LOL. And its on the D because when I was in the installation setup, I couldnt select C because there wasn't enough room. It said I needed like 16.2 GB of free space and my C drive is only 14.9GB. So yeah.

@herrkarl I tried to find somewhere in the installation process to delete partitions, or combine them, or format them, but it didnt have anything? Did I just completely miss this?

I will get the printscreen of my disc management as soon as I get back to my mothers, which will most likely be tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the input and feedback! I greatly appreciate it, and I'm new to this site so I'm even more thankful!

8. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    To make it easy - Just unplug the small ass drive and make your 60GB drive your primary, then reinstall everything over.

I would just trash that little drive or use it for your pagefile once you put it back in after the reinstall is done correctly.

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  10. anotherboy22

anotherboy22 MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2010
    Thanks urie, I'll try that.

Does anyone know why my computer won't read my other cd drive?

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    is other cd drive external also is it present in device manager ? while you are in device manager try scanning for other devices also check cables.