need sync program, free preferred

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wolfen, Jan 1, 2015.

1. wolfen

wolfen MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2010
    Hi
    I have an windows 7 machine where i have accountant program wich i want to sync to an offline server.
    i have the offline server added as an S: disk.
    I have tried several programs but all of them crash sooner or later or dont work as they are supposed to.
    any tip about a good free program i can use for this.
    I have set the programs to sync folder to folder, totally 10 folders.

Dirsyncpro and dsynchronize are the 2 latest programs i tested but they crash or stops working. :confused:

2. Meat[On]A[Stick]

Meat[On]A[Stick] MDL Junior Member

Jan 1, 2015
    #3 Meat[On]A[Stick], Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    I've had good luck with FreeFileSync, but make sure to read carefully the installation dialogs as it wants to install optional features you may not care for.

But I have never used it to sync to a drive that is offline. Not sure how that would work.

3. mysteriously

mysteriously Guest

I used to connect two PC via Ethernet cable directly, enable sharing and read/write access via homegroup and then copy files using Total commander. This way sucks a little bit when you move, rename or delete some files.

Can I use FreeFileSync for my scenario? Will I need to set homegroup sharing read/write access too?

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    What a most confusing way!

2 PCs are not on same network at the same time?

sebus

5. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
    I always quite liked the old SyncToy from Microsoft. I used to use it on Windows 7 as well. Not sure if it works on the new Windows 8.1 or 10 though.
    EDIT: Sorry, I didn't fully read post. Not sure if SyncToy did ever work over servers or not. My apologies.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    I use the free version of Syncback to sync my network drive with a PC drive. It works great and is hassle free.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You're welcome!

I'm an old user of Softaculous and own an Lifetime License for their Server Products. AMPPS is build from the same developer and create for locale Home Computers to use and all scripts are free. It's an excellent tools and much better than XAMPS and/or WAMP. In addition, the service from developer is just good too!