Need tips about flashing BIOS

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Chrystopher, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Chrystopher

Chrystopher MDL Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Hi guys :) I've done a search on this forum, but found nothing, so i made this thread. I'm not to good about BIOS thing(s). So, i want to ask a few questions about flashing BIOS :

1. What is the requirements on flashing BIOS?

2. Is flashing BIOS will be permanent? For example, if i flash my BIOS, everytime i reinstall my Operating System(OS), it'll be permanent without having to re-flash the BIOS?

3. I've an Acer Aspire 4740G laptop with the quite old BIOS (V1.02 - 2009), i wanna flash my BIOS with the V1.10 i've downloaded before, the question is : is there someone that has the same laptop type as i have? Is there still have "Info", "Security", and "Advanced" menus in the V1.10?

Hope someone can answer my questions and i'm sorry if there's a same thread :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Chrystopher

Chrystopher MDL Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Am I post in the wrong section??? :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Don't flash your BIOS unless you are having problems with the old one

Yes it is permanent and if you get it wrong, you create a permanent brick out of your machine

You won't get any performance boost from flashing your BIOS, they are only updated generally to quash bugs and add support for new hardware / OS

If it's working, leave it alone

4. Chrystopher

Chrystopher MDL Member

Oct 23, 2013
    I'm not having any problems with the old one, i'm just want to update it to the newest :D What about the requirements to flash the BIOS?

Thank You Very Much :)

5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    No requirements, download the new BIOS, run Winflash_V110.exe

Pray

6. Chrystopher

Chrystopher MDL Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Thank you very much :)

7. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    As a general rule don't flash from within windows but boot to usb, floopy, cd etc.

8. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Exactly, but do you want to explain the steps ? :p

9. Chrystopher

Chrystopher MDL Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Can you please explain the steps? Why i can't flash from within Windows?

10. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    :biggrin3: those steps are easy compared to describing how to desolder bios chip and install a new one

11. mabaega

mabaega MDL Senior Member

Dec 30, 2010

Download Bios from ACER
    Disable your antivirus before Flashing
    Extract - Browse Windows Folder from extracted folder and run Winflash_V110.exe as Administrator
    Wait a minute, Computer will restart
    and all done.

Acer.png

:)

12. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #12 redroad, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    There is a hit and miss success rate from flashing within windows ..

Check acer to see the change logs for bios updates to see the answer to this question .. Only if change logs indicate "Info", "Security", and "Advanced" menus have been removed would this be true ..

Use something like this to backup bios

Make sure you have a recovery plan prior to flashing

Read as much of the stickies here you can prior to flash

and lastly if you are not a person who is detail oriented then leave it to someone who is !

13. Chrystopher

Chrystopher MDL Member

Oct 23, 2013
    @mabaega : I've tried your method, and successfully updated my BIOS to V1.10 :) Thanks

@mr.redroad : Thanks for the tips. But can i ask something? When i upgraded my BIOS, i shutdown my laptop but when i start it, the "Fan" is so noisy and it's not booting Windows 8. Then i turn off & turn it on again, the "fan" seems to be just fine (not noisy again) and it's starting Windows 8. Is it okay? Is the the side effect for the first time upgrade BIOS?

14. mabaega

mabaega MDL Senior Member

Dec 30, 2010
    If there is no problem with your pc now, means everything is fine.

I am using Acer 4740G since 2010 with BIOS v1.10,
    I also have tried several OS like XP, Vista, Win7, Win 8/8.1, Ubuntu.
    and all went well.
    :D

15. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    One of the things that is recommended when flashing bios is that the current bios settings are left in the default bios settings state so when flashed it does not leave the machine in an unusable state .. The bios mod whether OEM or other presumes default settings .. The executable bios program you used may take inventory of the settings of bios prior to flash at reboot .. My guess is the fan speed change is more likely due to an increase in CPU activity creating an increase in temp calling for more fan rather than anything else .. Keep an eye or ear in this case on it and check bios settings if you believe something has changed and adjust settings accordingly or as needed ..