Need tips to optimize system boot time

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ceo54, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Hi,

My system takes a lots of time to start up. Specifically between the first screen where Windows logo shows up and the last where my username shows up, in between that, there's a blank grey screen where it holds for way longer then usual. As I understand it, on the first screen, OS loads up system drivers and on the second screen, the userprofile. What is that grey screen for, that appears right in between the two ?

My old system with far less resources boots 3x faster then the newer one. It makes me sad :(
    Hard disks are fine, no fragmentation. Rest of the system, once booted, works like a charm.
    I'm using a customized copy of Windows 8.1 with lot's of stuff removed and updates integrated.

I'm sure there's quite a bit I can do to improve it. I use to use Iobit's Advanced system care that had some tweaks build in for fast response time. Then my system use to start significantly faster. I forget in which sequence I use to use those settings. They don't appear to be working now.

Any help will be greeatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    What was your old system compared to what you have now? Perhaps when you removed stuff you took out something important? Do you have programs starting with Windows? I take it you use HDD, and not SSD. Lots of questions, and more info is needed for troubleshooting.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Thomas Dubreuil

Thomas Dubreuil MDL Senior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    #3 Thomas Dubreuil, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    If you want super fast boot with a HDD, enable hibernation maybe + fast start maybe? add this:
    Code:
    reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power" /v "HibernateEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    Code:
    reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /v "HiberbootEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

4. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. My old system is old, six years or more I can't remember for sure. And no nothing of important taken out. No problem with the windows whatsoever on any level. I don't have any programs starting with the Windows, just the drivers, display, GPU, audio etc. But even that hadn't effected the boot times, as I said it takes the time between loading Windows drivers and user profile. Startup programs load after that. I don't have the money to buy an SSD. One TB would cost equivalent of an entire system. Next system most definitely will be.

Any other ideas ?

5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Do you have a DVD writer or alike?
    If so remove any disc within.
    If not, disconnect the DVD writer drive.

6. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Thank you for the suggestion. Yes it works. Boots up in 4/5 seconds. Though I prefer to shut down instead of hibernating it. Some times I don't use the machine for days.

7. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Hi Mr. X.

Thanks for the suggestion, tried it. Haven't seen any improvements though. I think it has something to do with the BIOS settings. If I can deduce what it does at the blank grey screen, between the two screens at startup, I might be able t fix it.

8. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    My desktop started 3 days ago to take longer boots even though it has a SSD drive, so I troubleshoot startup programs. Disabling them one by one didn't work.
    Then I unplugged DC power cable and no all good. It is a Samsung DVD writer.
    If this happened to me then could happen to anyone.

9. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    A DVD writer causing startup delay ? Who could have thought. I'm glad though you figured it out. Mine however has related to something else entirely.

10. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
  11. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
  12. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    #12 Super Spartan, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    That's not how you tag a mod! :rolleyes: You just tagged some random inactive user named awesome :rolleyes:

13. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    :tooth:

14. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    :D