Need to completely wipe BIOS?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by kai, Aug 27, 2011.

1. kai

kai MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2007
    #1 kai, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
    I have a small problem with a Samsung NC10..

It has had an acer slic installed in the bios at some point in the past, which was fine as bios versions up to 10CA didn't have a slic installed. However, from version 11CA, Samsung have added Windows 7 support via SLIC.

Now the problem is that when updating to 11CA, it causes the PubKey and Marker to mismatch as I think it's using the marker form the new samsung slic, but the acer slic is still there.

Is there any way of completely wiping the bios to start afresh? (It's a Phoenix bios) I've tried flashing 11CA a lot of times, using winphlash, advanced settings, 'Zero block before programming' and also using DOS phlash utility. It's still giving me the same outcome.

Thanks

2. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    i dont understand your post really, are you saying that you are unable to flash the bios with the version 11c - if so whats the erro.

or are you saying that after flashing with 11c activation does not match - did you update the certificte for samsung now as you were using an acer?

3. kai

kai MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2007
    After flashing the new bios, which should have the Samsung SLIC, using SLIC Toolkit, it still reports that the it has the Acer SLIC. Only now, the PubKey and Markers don't match.

The cert, even if changed to Samsung cert and key wouldn't be 100% validated because the PubKey and Marker don't match.

I don't know why this is.. it seems that the Acer SLIC has been flashed to a part of the BIOS which isn't updated by the new BIOS, which means that it's still (partially) showing.

4. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    #4 NICK@NUMBER11, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
    Understand now

did you use the verify and clear CMOS switches also when you did the advanced falsh

/Z /V /C ?

5. kai

kai MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2007
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm sure that I did use those switches using DOS phlash utility - to Zero block before programming, verify and clear cmos after.

I did the same in the advanced settings of WinPhlash. The problem I think is that the Acer SLIC is written to a part that the new BIOS doesn't write to so the it stays there.

6. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
  7. kai

kai MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2007
    Thanks for the help so far. I won't have the chance to do this for a while since I no longer have possession of the laptop. I downgraded to 10CA for the time being (which has technically no SLIC) which then allows the SLIC, pubkey and marker to all match up.

You can find the bios here:

h..p://_www_.samsungpc.com/gb/support/nc10/bios/Win_NC10_11CA07D0.exe