Need to license 12 computers with Office 2013 Professional Plus

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by krafty, Apr 21, 2015.

1. krafty

krafty MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2015
    Hi, this is my first post here.
    I'm currently working on an IT sector in a government institution and they're using unlicensed Office 2013 copies.
    We're setting up a network with 12 computers give or take.
    What's the best path to license these computers?

a) Is physical copy of DVD only available on retail license?
    b) Is it the VLK that I need?
    c) Does VLK supply DVD?
    d) What is the pricing for this type of licence?
    e) I see that the MS site store has a business section and you just add the copies to the cart, then you are redirected to a download... is this VLK licensing or retail after all?

Thank you.

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #2 EFA11, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  3. krafty

krafty MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2015
    What's the difference between VLK and VLSC ?
    Compared to retail, those are a bit cheaper for bulk installations?
    Could I use retail nonetheless if I wanted to? Same applies for Windows Server or SQL Server?
    Will retail be the only channel to get physical boxes?

4. timster

timster MDL Senior Member

Aug 23, 2009
    #4 timster, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    VLSC is Volume License Service Center, it's where you download the software are get you Volume License Keys (VLKs) from

You could use retail licensing on every computer, but that would end up being more expensive than VL.

5. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    If you buy Office on Volume License you cannot really compare the price to retail, as the licensing programs contain a mixture of leased v. permanent.

Even with a permanent one, you may actually find the Volume license initial cost could be more than a retail (depending on the volume licence program) but you have to also consider SA (Software Assurance). With the extra cost you get SA which gives you latest version rights, so you buy today and all version released during the period you have SA cover for.

So for example, if you bought Office 2013 with SA on an Open Value - the license would be permanent and you would split the code over 3 years. The SA cover for 3 years would automatically give you access and license to run new version like Office 2016 when released etc.

Compare this to retail, if you bought today you would need to buy retail upgrade license to the next version. So it's not all about initial price but SA, and split payments may be better for companies who have annual budgets.

I personally would go down the route of VL for the SA option - and given it's government would probably get huge discount anyway so in your case it probably would work out cheaper.

6. krafty

krafty MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2015
    Thank you Threat, EFA11, timster.
    It takes a bit to understand the MS licences.

7. sjmike

sjmike MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2010
    Also, don't hesitate to call a Microsoft reseller such as CDW. They helped me out with all of my volume licensing questions, and I had quite a few, and gave me a really great deal. Plus they're able to negotiate on prices.

8. krafty

krafty MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2015
    Hello again.
    Well, I met a certified person who supposedly knows all about the OEM/FPP/Open and VLSC licences from MS.
    He told me that VLSC will end up more expensive than FPP.

In a specification draft for a Request For Quotes, I wrote that I would need the VLSC license WITH "Software Assurance" program.
    He told me that this specific request deems into a non-perpetual license.
    Basically, he said that all licenses would be valid for 3 years.
    But that was not much of my understanding from what I gathered.
    I think VLSC gives you a perpetual license, and if you include software assurance, then you have extra benefits up to 3 years.
    When software assurance expires, you just lose those benefits, but still have the right to run the software... that's what I understood. Or am I wrong?
    He also went on about FPP being better, cheaper than VLSC...
    Which is in fact the exact opposite of the answers in this thread.

Should I ask him the numbers to sustain that claim?
    Does software assurance cover all aquired applications???

Another issue in our reunion was that the "CAL package" by device. Is it sold 5 licences in a package?
    Or each CAL is really USD 80 dollars? In other words... when you buy CALs, do you really need to buy 12 CALs for 12 devices and not 3 CALs to use with 12 workstations?

Thank you for answers....

9. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
  10. krafty

krafty MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2015
    Thank you threat. It's getting a bit clearer now.
    These licenses schemes can be very relative, I might even go for the FPP which is much simpler and straighforward.
    I just hate when a VAR poses himself as the know-it-all person... Looks like this one is not very aware of anything.

Right now, I am hating Microsoft over these tiny little restrictions no one benefits from.
    It would be much easier to just sell the software under two or three categories...
    This CAL thing is certainly another machiavellian rule.
    Next thing under those licenses might be a differente pricing if you drink either tea or coffe on your workdesk.
    Insane really

11. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    I still think Volume licensing could be your better option - just need the right combination of discount (government) and program.

Licencing is so complex there are certifications & courses on them. Says a lot.

:tea:

Pay Per Cup? I'd be screwed. :fear: