Need urgent help with remote access connection manager

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rubyboy79, Oct 14, 2009.

1. rubyboy79

rubyboy79 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2009
    Hi,

i have a problem with the remote access connection manager(rasman) service. it refuses to start because the sstpsvc(secure socket tunnelling protocol service) is corrupt, or so i think.

when i try to start the SSTP service, it says the sstp service has started and stopped. some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.

i needed the sstp to start in order for the rasman to start or else it would have the error, dependency group failed to start.

i found the work around which worked for me last time on vista and windows 7 rc 32bit. which was to go to the regedit, local machine-> system->current control set-> services-> rasman and remove the sstpsvc from dependOnservice.

however this does not work for win 7 ulti rtm 64 bit. i tried the same method and i get a error 87: the parameter is incorrect.

please help me i really need the service to start to use mobile broadband.

and also, i do not want to reformat as i have too much stuff and no time to back up.

can anyone help?

2. rubyboy79

rubyboy79 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2009
    bumps for help

3. akjs123

akjs123 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    have you seen the event logs. maybe they hold some information as to why that is happening. please post that info.

4. rubyboy79

rubyboy79 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2009
    what event logs? where do i find them

5. akjs123

akjs123 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    Control Panel> Administrative Tools>Event Viewer

Try to run the service or whatever that results in the error again to get an idea of time of event then look it up in the event viewer. It will give the details of why the error might be occurring. Post the details here so we can help you figure out.

6. rubyboy79

rubyboy79 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2009
    lol when i open it it says event log service unavailable, please verify the service is running.

when i go to services and try to start windows event log service, i get the error 4201: the instance name passed was not recognised as valid by a wmi data provider

7. akjs123

akjs123 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    after a bit of googling, this is what I found.

That is for the event log service. Maybe it is related to your original problem.
    I would suggest you also check the integrity of system files by

8. rubyboy79

rubyboy79 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2009
    so i should change all owner ship to administrator? my entire c drive is now owned by my account(user) though its also the admin account. i took ownership from trustedinstaller if im not wrong.

do i need to change it all back to trusted installer or to the admin?

i did the sfc /scannow before and it says no problems

9. akjs123

akjs123 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    #9 akjs123, Oct 14, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
    There are folders in %systemroot% that are required by system software, like in the case of event manager to write logs etc. By changing ownership, the softwares might not function correctly. I think thats the root of the problem. Why dont you try set ownership of %systemroot% to trustedinstaller and see what happens after a reboot.

Edit: I just checked and the owner of the windows folder on my computer is trustedinstaller. Changing that might do the trick for you.

10. akjs123

akjs123 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    Another option for you can be, although I havent tried so dont know if it will work, is put your windows 7 dvd and instead of clean install, try an upgrade. Just make a backup of your my documents etc.

11. rubyboy79

rubyboy79 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2009
    i found out that i no longer have a trustedinstaller group on my computer -.-.. im trying to change it to administrator now though i doubt it will make a difference. ill try to change it to system as well.

does upgrading generally keep data and settings?

12. akjs123

akjs123 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    #12 akjs123, Oct 14, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
    To change ownership to trustedinstaller

Doing that for your windows folder should hopefully solve your problems.

13. rubyboy79

rubyboy79 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2009
    ok ive changed the windows folder to trusted installer but no problems have been solved. the error reporting still does not start and the other services still have the same problem

14. akjs123

akjs123 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    Did you try rebooting once after that? If that didnt work, I think you should try and use the upgrade option from the windows setup.

15. rubyboy79

rubyboy79 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2009
    yes i did reboot.. im hesitating cos im afraid it might screw up registries further and make things worse. im not sure what an upgrade keeps so if i do it some programs might not work

16. Searinox

Searinox MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Sounds like a broken Rasman service. 64bit right? Try running this and see if it fixes your problem.

Attached Files:

17. rubyboy79

rubyboy79 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2009
    but i cant start my sstp service either.. is there another work around besides deleting the sstpsvc from dependonservice in rasman? when i delete it rasman service gives me error 87 parameter incorrect when i try to start it

18. akjs123

akjs123 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    Not sure how windows 7 update works but one thing is for sure, your system files, registry entries and other things will be created again so the error you are facing now should go away. It might or might not preserve registry entries or other things of installed softwares which you might need to reinstall again. If you have setups of those softwares then I dont think that should be a problem. Just make a backup of your data within the users folder like My Documents etc.