Needing some help, at wit's end.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Moogable, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Moogable

Moogable MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2010
    #1 Moogable, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
    So my friend installed windows 7 home premium recently, and ran 7loader (I'm unsure as to version number) last night. Upon rebooting, she is immediately taken, after a very brief flash of the windows boot screen, to a solid black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner. I have tried everything short of hitting it with a hammer to get it to boot. The recovery partition won't boot, it refuses to boot from a liveCD (Yes I did make sure CD was first in boot order), and it's pretty much a brick right now.

Anyone else had this happen to them? and is there any possible fix? It's an HP dv6.

EDIT: Have also tried ctrl-alt-del to reset, resetting bios to default values, booting from win7 disk, booting into safe mode (can't even get to that screen). It's also passed memory diagnostics.

2. chaddawkins

chaddawkins MDL Senior Member

Sep 16, 2007
    flash with newest bios... see if that helps

3. t0mn8r

t0mn8r MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    HP dv6

Moogable,
    I feel for you pal!

3 days ago I did Windows 7 U install on a dv6 and it went perfectly. Had to pick up some drivers but it all went smooth.

I am using Windows 7 Loader V1.7.7

HTH

:)

4. levyjackob

levyjackob MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2009
    hi ;
    Try to boot from Win 7 DVD and do a boot recovery.
    Hope it works.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. stemcell

stemcell MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2009
    Try disabling the PXE Network bit from the boot order in your bios, or just move it further down the list sometimes this causes the black screen.

Is it detecting the hard drive in the bios?.

6. Moogable

Moogable MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2010
    Thanks for the input thusfar. Soon as I get off work, I'll get back to it.

I'm fairly sure the bios is detecting the hard drive, as it appears that its attempting to boot, and from what I remember, I usually get the "Non system disk or disk error" message when no hard drive is connected.

I'll definitely look into the PXE Network bit.

7. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    had the same problem on a couple of machines.it was the loader causing it.had to reinstall windows 7 then used the remove wat program by hazar posted here in this forum and that worked.hope this helps.

8. Moogable

Moogable MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2010
    No PXE option in the boot order menu. Only two options are Notebook Harddrive, and internal cd/dvdrom drive. Have managed to trigger a "Press any key to boot from cd/dvd" screen once, with no further luck. All drives seem to be detected, as far as I can tell, though I'm doing all of this support remotely, so I can't call for sure.

9. bogstandard

bogstandard MDL Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #9 bogstandard, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
    Perhaps I'm missing something but why not just reapply Windows 7 ( I assume it has been suitably hash checked) and then use Daz's latest ( see opa's ) only takes around 20 minutes and it's all good clean fun!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...