'Needs TrustedInstaller privileges'...Really ?? Seriously ?!?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by smallhagrid, Nov 25, 2021.

1. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #1 smallhagrid, Nov 25, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    I have a mild interest in w7 since it is my very upper limit for that OS type, which I don't use much or often - it is just something I'll tinker with when I'm not otherwise engaged.

So, I found a very nice release which can replace my existing & very annoying w7 ultimate and much to my delight it has many or most of the annoyances already knocked out of it...BUT:
    It has the ugliest boot & shutdown BMP ever so I wanted to get rid of that - found it in the OOBE directory, & went to delete or rename it - and couldn't.

Admin level with 'god mode' ain't enough ?!? Absurd. And why is this=>
    That action requires 'TrustedInstaller privileges'. Jeez. Just how stooopid can these things get ?!?
    So I looked into that & did the 'leventy-seven steps needed to undo that & got rid of that ugly thing.

Better, and a bit later I ran into mention of this little goodie=>

Windows 7-11 Automated Tweaks Script
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...fications-overview.83744/page-17#post-1683742

Which also brought me to this:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...fications-overview.83744/page-17#post-1683288

And either of the above seems very attractive to me until I see 'Needs TrustedInstaller privileges'...again.

So here (finally) is my query for today:
    Is there a way to permanently meet or join or disable this absurd 'Needs TrustedInstaller privileges' such that an admin user with 'god mode' need NEVER run into it again ??

Yes - I am aware that it is for that mythical thing I call see-kyur-eet-tay, but I don't care about that because I can very easily just wipe that HDD anytime if anything bad happens within that OS.

Thanks for any truly helpful replies !!

2. ExtremeGrief

ExtremeGrief MDL Addicted

Jun 2, 2020
    I wouldn't use ISO mods as it may contain malware

3. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Good for you !!

As I clearly said in the OP:
    NOT being 'windows dependent' in today's world sure is great !!!

4. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    u can run regedit / winxshell [explorer replacement] as TI
    give the permissions u need to ur self / administrators

like access to system32 folder
    or same reg folder
    and do any changes from there by ur admin user

5. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    no but u can run regedit from winxshell like running cmd in the path and then if winxshell is TI also everything thats run from there is TI

Im pretty sure u can add new group u will create to all the objects in regedit
    and also to all folders with inheritance
    and when u need full access add ur admin user to that group
    when u done remove

just to be sure nothing will break or crash

but im doing lots of work with TI
    and using winxshell maded it very easy and comfort for me

6. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    what about running it from cmd with TI?

7. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Hi LiteOS.
    Meaning Explorer++, yes ??

If so - nope it jest doont open no matter what I try.

Hopefully its dev will be helpful & know how to fix that.

8. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Explorer++ (any version) works just fine with RunAsTI from this very forum
    the usual procedure is to execute the script once; afterwards right-click Explorer++ and select Send to - RunAsTI
    if you're gonna do this often, you could edit the script or create another one to point the snippet to Explorer++ something like:
    explorer++.bat
    Code:
    @call :RunAsTI "%~dp0Explorer++.exe" & exit /b

#:RunAsTI: #2 snippet to run as TI/System, with /high priority and /priv ownership
    set ^ #=& set "0=%~f0"& set 1=%*& powershell -nop -c iex(([io.file]::ReadAllText($env:0)-split':RunAsTI\:.*')[1])& exit/b
    $_CAN_PASTE_DIRECTLY_IN_POWERSHELL='^,^'; function RunAsTI ($cmd) { $id='RunAsTI'; $sid=((whoami /user)-split' ')[-1]; $code=@'
    $ti=(whoami /groups)-like"*1-16-16384*"; $DM=[AppDomain]::CurrentDomain."DefineDynamicAss`embly"(1,1)."DefineDynamicMod`ule"(1)
    $D=@(); 0..5|% {$D+=$DM."DefineT`ype"("M$_",1179913,[ValueType])}; $I=[int32];$P=$I.module.gettype("System.Int`Ptr"); $U=[uintptr]
    $D+=$U; 4..6|% {$D+=$D[$_]."MakeB`yRefType"()};$M=$I.module.gettype("System.Runtime.Interop`Services.Mar`shal");$Z=[uintptr]::size
    $S=[String]; $9=$D[0]."DefinePInvokeMeth`od"("CreateProcess","kernel`32",8214,1,$I,@($S,$S,$I,$I,$I,$I,$I,$S,$D[7],$D[8]),1,4)
    $DF=0,($P,$I,$P),($I,$I,$I,$I,$P,$D[1]),($I,$S,$S,$S,$I,$I,$I,$I,$I,$I,$I,$I,[int16],[int16],$P,$P,$P,$P),($D[3],$P),($P,$P,$I,$I)
    1..5|% {$k=$_;$n=1;$AveYo=1; $DF[$_]|% {$9=$D[$k]."DefineFie`ld"('f'+$n++,$_,6)}}; $T=@(); 0..5|% {$T+=$D[$_]."CreateT`ype"()}
    0..5|% {nv "A$_" ([Activator]::CreateInstance($T[$_])) -force}; function F ($1,$2) {$T[0]."GetMeth`od"($1).invoke(0,$2)};
    if (!$ti) { $g=0; "TrustedInstaller","lsass"|% {if (!$g) {net1 start $_ 2>&1 >$null; $g=@(get-process -name $_ -ea 0|% {$_})[0]}}
     function M($1,$2,$3){$M."GetMeth`od"($1,[type[]]$2).invoke(0,$3)}; $H=@(); $Z,(4*$Z+16)|% {$H+=M "AllocHG`lobal" $I $_};
     M "WriteInt`Ptr" ($P,$P) ($H[0],$g.Handle); $A1.f1=131072;$A1.f2=$Z;$A1.f3=$H[0];$A2.f1=1;$A2.f2=1;$A2.f3=1;$A2.f4=1;$A2.f6=$A1
     $A3.f1=10*$Z+32;$A4.f1=$A3;$A4.f2=$H[1]; M "StructureTo`Ptr" ($D[2],$P,[boolean]) (($A2 -as $D[2]),$A4.f2,$false); $w=0x0E080600
     $out=@($null,"powershell -win 1 -nop -c iex `$env:A",0,0,0,$w,0,$null,($A4 -as $T[4]),($A5 -as $T[5])); F "CreateProcess" $out
    } else { $env:A=''; $PRIV=[uri].module.gettype("System.Diagnostics.Process")."GetMeth`ods"(42) |? {$_.Name -eq "SetPrivilege"}
     "SeSecurityPrivilege","SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege","SeBackupPrivilege","SeRestorePrivilege" |% {$PRIV.Invoke(0, @("$_",2))}
     if (!$cmd) {$cmd='cmd'}; start cmd -args ("/q/x/d/r title $id && start `"$id`" /high",$cmd) -win 1} # AveYo 2021
    '@; $key="Registry::HKEY_USERS\$sid\Volatile Environment"; $a1="`$id='$id';`$key='$key';";$a2="`$cmd='$($cmd-replace"'","''")';`n"
    sp $key $id $($a1,$a2,$code) -type 7 -force; $arg="$a1 `$env:A=(gi `$key).getvalue(`$id)-join'';rp `$key `$id -force; iex `$env:A"
    $_PRESS_ENTER='^,^'; start powershell -args "-win 1 -nop -c $arg" -verb runas }; <#,#>  RunAsTI $env:1;  #:RunAsTI:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    Hi smallhagrid

try run it from process hacker
    works here

10. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    .. that's obvious as TrustedInstaller, like the name and comments suggest.
    You already have explorer++; create a .bat script next to it with the content I have posted and then just try it.
    .. also obvious that to run as TI you first need admin rights, but the script takes care of that by asking your permission if UAC enabled
    Once running, check Task Manager Details tab, explorer++ is gonna have SYSTEM user. A more competent tool (process explorer) is gonna list TrustedInstaller in it's Security tab.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Thanks BAU, but...:
    Whatever you aim that at is NOT obvious - and=>
    I asked whether EXP++ opens for you normally WITHOUT any error message.

Since it is a file manager and I try to open it as admin user - and it fails with an error - THAT problem is my starting point rather than trying to make it work at a higher level of authority as my 1st action.

It will not always be needed at that higher level, so if it cannot be used in place of the 'regular' explorer, that is a real problem.

12. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    #16 ancestor(v), Dec 1, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    @BAU
    No, I don't english. Sorry.

Next time, use the report function. Thank you.

OT posts deleted.