Neither wireless mouse nor keyboard wakes laptop.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jetjock, Aug 18, 2020.

1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Brother-in-law has a Win 7 laptop that used to wake with wireless mouse and built in keyboard. He just installed a new wireless mouse & keyboard, plugged in a monitor and disabled the laptop screen. Touchpad has always been disabled. New mouse, keyboard & monitor are working fine with one exception.

Now, neither his new mouse nor keyboard will wake the computer from sleep mode. Normally, going into the device manager, right clicking the hid compliant mouse & keyboard, clicking properties and then "Power Management" will allow you to set that device to "Allow this device to wake the computer". However, on his computer there is NO "Power Management" tab!

I'm stumped! Any suggestions for getting the mouse & keyboard to wake his computer?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. perceivedelusion

perceivedelusion MDL Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sounds like his old equip would wake up Com. but new equip. doesn't come with extensive enough software to enable some features. Like maybe a cheaper brand.
    Answer based on speculation. (not even a good guess, I don't think)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    If you (or Your friend installed new mouse and keyboard) installed a new mouse and keyboard, a new driver or drivers was also installed and there just isn't this feature included.
    You need to find a driver that has this feature, but usually these drivers are older ons and may not work with newer hardware. But rest assured, on newer computers, this feature has already been removed from the operating system.
    Moreover, such a function is only a habit, in reality it is completely unnecessary and often even dangerous.
    Why - I'll leave this question to investigatet to you.