Nero 2015 Platinum

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by jetjock, Apr 3, 2015.

1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Has anyone successfully installed Nero 2015 Platinum from a torrent download? Every serial # I've tried has been blocked except for one---and that one tells me it's expired! I've got "127.0.0.1 activation.nero.com" in my host file and I've unplugged the internet connection while installing; all to no avail. Any ideas?

jetjock :plane:

P.S. How does the program detect an invalid serial # if it can't "phone home"? Is there a list built into the program? Can it be removed? How?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    I think there is a list but only for blacklisted serials. If they find out a serial has been shared on internet they will black list it and update the offline list, so it does not matter that the software can't connect to their servers.

3. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    I'm sure I'm missing something, but how can they "update" any offline list? This software (Nero 15) is stored on hundreds of different computers and recombined via a torrent download onto my computer. Where is this "list" that can be accessed when the software cannot check with anything on the Internet? (phone home to answer another's question). If it is contained in the software somewhere, there must be a way to find and remove it!

jetjcock :plane:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    its built into the setup, there is no list of keys in the files. It runs a verification algorithm that hashes the key you input and validates it accordingly. If the key doesn't match it wont work. As the devs update, they exclude keys into the same system and the used keys will come back as invalid.

Phoning home is used for activation side, a key that is valid, but used too many times will come back as invalid or flagged as well from the activation system. That is why when people release these kinds of programs they usually state to not let it connect to the internet. There are a lot of morons out there who do not pay attention or care to read the read-me files and the keys eventually will not work with activation, but yet still should be allowed to enter into setup with a system not connected to the net.

If the key entered shows as valid, and there is no network the system will work until it is connected to the network and then phones home and either deactivates or nags you forever.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Isn't it that discussions about pirated software and how to get those apps to work, is fully prohibited on MDL?

6. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I see nothing wrong with discussions about how things work, posting or asking is another matter entirely to me.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Isn't it obvious for you that the OP is asking for help how to get those pirated version to work?!

If that isn't just a question of 'How To.....' than something must be wrong with my understanding of English and/or the Rules of MDL!

8. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #8 EFA11, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    What the OP GETS and what he WANTS are two different things, and what he WANTS has nothing to do with me.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sorry EFA11 if you got me wrong! I wasn't complain about your post, it was about the asking for help using pirated software by the OP. And for that my own question, as posted already still stands: Is an discussion about pirated software and special how to get those to work, allowed on MDL or not!

Thanks.

10. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #10 Smorgan, Apr 4, 2015
    As a person who has answered such questions before...

We are looking into a means to bypass the license for a piece of software such as Nero 2015 which can be classified as a warez based discssion. However discussing how such licensing works is not off limits. Actually doing the bypass and instructing the OP how it can be accomplished is the point which is off limits.

The activation in this case is close to how Adobe works in which it checks with an online database for keys which are either expired, blacklisted, or genuine. You want to figure out how to bypass the license using a host based block. That violates the rules of MDL as we would have to go into cracking the license files / dlls.

I am in agreement with Pisthai as I have frequently bent the rules on MDL. In my mind the discussion of such things is strictly off limits as it requires knowledge in how Nero 2015 functions. We are essentially giving the OP the means to pirate the software which is a forum rule violation. There is a clear difference with such things and openly discussing how an activation or licensing system works.

11. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
  12. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    #12 °ツ, Apr 4, 2015
    I reported this thread yesterday and it has not been closed, so the admin/OPs does not think that this post is breaking the rules, if they did they would have closed it.

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    On that Forum where I'm Admin and Mod, Warez and their discussion are prohibit. That came after we were getting huge problem with some publishers and developers about the discussion of 'How To ....' bypass Copyright and Software Protection etc.! The public discussion on what way and how to avoid the certify and activation of software, is simply illegal and could result in giving non-legal users the ability for to to use protected materials without the need to pay the Royalty Fee of those protected products.

In case of, that an Forum is allowing such discussion on public, the Owner of that forum or any of those who acting on his behalf, could be held liable.

14. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    If this post was reported and not closed by the staff, then they must have determined that it did not break forum rules.

@pisthai: No offence, but you are neither an admin or a moderator here. If you disagree with the staffs' decision to let this post stand, the best course of action is to send a PM to one of the moderators and let them discuss the issue.

Taking draconian measures against what could be construed as a development question goes against what MDL stands for; The dissemination and sharing of knowledge. For all we know, the OP is trying to write a copy protection routine, and didn't want to let on what he was actually trying to do.

@sid_16: I suspect that Kasperesky used the aforementioned thread as an excuse to opt out of your contest. But I could be wrong. :)

:MJ

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I know that more than well. You just bring it out of context: I was mention that only because we had similar and huge problem on our own forum about those Copyright problems. You should see that in that light.

If the OP hasn't asked for help to fool the developer, I even hadn't write those post! Instead of trying to write an protection routine (for what the OP should had have an legal version instead of an pirated one) he asked for help to bypass that protection routine. And that has nothing to do with MDL's way to run this forum!

16. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Within certain contexts, they are not prohibited here. The fact that this post has been left standing by the mods should demonstrate that to You.

MDL is experiencing this exact same thing right now. Thus, the change in policies as to what can be posted and what can not. There are new rules discussing this. Once again, this thread does not seem to break those rules.

To aide and / or implement it is illegal. Not to discuss it in a general sense. Which, I believe is what's being done here.

I trust the staff at MDL to be wise enough to know the difference between general discussions and things which could legally compromise the forum. And I respect their decision to leave the thread standing.

I don't see how pointing out what I have eluded to you is bringing anything out of context.

:MJ

17. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #17 Smorgan, Apr 4, 2015
    Given the context of the question asked.

In which he is asking how an invalid serial is detected. Along with asking how a pirated serial could be obtained in order to bypass the built in copy right I must disagree with you MJ.

This is precisely why this forum is having to change policies because you have to ask what torrent he got Nero 2015 Platinum from just to make sure the software package has not been tampered with.

Along with taking apart the program to see how it phones home. While looking into how it categorizes bad product keys. He is asking for the means to pirate Nero 2015. End of story.

And if you have even glanced at some of the threads I have done. I have extensive experience in this area in terms of bending rules in order to explain how a certain Microsoft Product works. There is a clear difference between generalizing in how a licensing system works and bypassing it. Please do not confuse the two.

18. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    #18 jetjock, Apr 4, 2015
    (OP)
    When I posted, I was aware that I was skirting perilously close to the rules about warez. I therefore was careful to not ask for directions to bypass Nero's copyright protection, although I admit asking how to remove the protection was probably a direct violation. I was curious about how a program can recognize an illegal serial # without being able to contact anyone outside of my computer and wanted to see if anyone had solved how it was done. The reply from EFA11 answered that question.

On a related note; I was trying to install Nero 15 form a torrent download. I have a legitimate copy of Nero 12 that I have on another older HD. Since I can still use that program just by booting to that old drive, I thought I would try installing a torrent version on my new, current HD to bypass having to reboot whenever I wanted to use it. My old serial # said it had expired, and when the numbers in the torrent download didn't work, I became curious as to how Nero could determine they were invalid without being able to contact Nero. Would I have used it if they worked? Probably, but that's a discussion for another forum. Since there a hundreds, if not thousands of folks looking for Daz's loader everyday in the Windows forums, I don't think I'm shooting silver bullets! ;)

I have gotten my question answered and deleted my torrent downloads. The software police can now rest easy. Thanks again to those who tried to answer.

jetjock :plane: