NET Framework 3.5 fails to install in Windows Server 2012 R2. Or?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Erik B, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Erik B

Erik B MDL Member

Oct 10, 2008
    #1 Erik B, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I can't get the .NET Framework 3.5 feature to install on R2. Install says sources are missing.

MSDN: Installing the .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 8
    Code:
    dism.exe /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:X:\sources\sxs
    did not work, at least not for me. Likewise for enter X:\sources\sxs source path in Server Manager.

The same issue seems to be in Windows 8.1 as well:
    forums.mydigitallife.net: Windows 8.1 App Update Issues / .Net 2.0-3.5 Issue

Anyone have other experiences?

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #2 s1ave77, Sep 4, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Erik B

Erik B MDL Member

Oct 10, 2008
    replace the 'X'? aaah ... can you please tell me how I'd do that? :rolleyes::D

Just FYI I tested a lot of sources as well in case there were some data corruption. It would be interesting to hear if anyone succeeded in installing the .NET Framework 3.5 feature in Server 2012 R2. :)

Yes, I saw the offline installers and there's always the solution to install the real .NET Framework package. No, I wanted to get a as proper install as possible, so I gave up on a clean install of Server 2012 R2. Instead I installed Server 2012 original and enabled the roles and features I wanted, then I did an upgrade to Server 2012 R2. Experiences:
    • SUA didn't migrate :(
    • Need the same install locale variant between versions
    • Swedish language didn't migrate
    • Activation didn't migrate
    • Still no sound in Hyper-V and somewhat disappointing graphics capabilities

4. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Actually, use the same trick as Windows 8/8.1 - mount the ISO and use the DISM script (or mount the ISO prior to running Server Manager and adding the feature); I just did the latter for 2012R2 (MSDN).

Note: Server 2012 ad 2012R2 use different keys.

5. Erik B

Erik B MDL Member

Oct 10, 2008
    Actually, that was exactly what I did. I guess the installation depended on some missing online MS sources at the time, which is now functional (only speculating). I got some permission issues by doing an upgrade so a clean install is obviously the best. I'm not going to reinstall now though.:biggrin:

6. maggo

maggo MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2014
    #6 maggo, Jan 15, 2014
    Some info about the resolution I found!

Hi all sorry for digging this up, but since I found the answer for me, I'll post it here for posterity!

While installing SQL server 2012 on a Windows Server 2012 R2, I encountered an error :

I then tried the dism.exe command below, but it still failed (even while change the X: for my actual drive letter)

Code:
    dism.exe /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:D:\sources\sxs
    I then found about a document from M$ that stated:

• Installing a Windows language pack before installing the .NET Framework 3.5 will cause the .NET Framework 3.5 installation to fail. Install the .NET Framework 3.5 before installing any Windows language packs.
    Out of luck our server template includes a French and Portuguese - Brazil MUI... Had to uninstall the language packs with the lpksetup.exe command and then:

Code:
    C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:netfx3 /all /source:d:\sources\sxs

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 6.3.9600.16384

Image Version: 6.3.9600.16384

Enabling feature(s)
    [==========================100.0%==========================]
    The operation completed successfully.

Hope this can help some!

Source (sorry had to remove link):

Installing the .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 8 or 8.1 (MSDN)

7. Erik B

Erik B MDL Member

Oct 10, 2008
    ^^ Thanks, this could very well be the cause of my problem as well. Due to previous experiences, the first thing I do when installing a new Windows OS, is indeed to install the language pack. By my experiences the English language pack is mandatory, so usually for me it means installing the Swedish language pack on an English-US install. I can't remember now exactly how the conditions were for me at the time and the upgrade was partly very much an attempt to migrate SUA (which failed), so I can't really confirm though. I see I have both Swedish and English-US install media so I probably messed around with both.

8. beherar

beherar MDL Novice

May 16, 2014
    I executed the below command in command prompt as admin

dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:netfx3 /all /source:D:\sources\sxs

But i got the below error

C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:netfx3 /all /source:D:\sources\sxs

Version: 6.2.9200.16384

Image Version: 6.2.9200.16384

Enabling feature(s)
    [===========================66.3%====== ]

Error: 0x800f0906

The source files could not be downloaded.
    Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http: //go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

So I followed the link http: //support.microsoft.com/kb/2734782 and followed "Method 2: Configure the Group Policy setting"

After that i re executed the previous command and it worked for me.

C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:netfx3 /all /source:D:\sources\sxs

Version: 6.2.9200.16384

Image Version: 6.2.9200.16384

Enabling feature(s)
    [==========================100.0%==========================]
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\Windows\system32>

I Hope this will work for you too

9. Erik B

Erik B MDL Member

Oct 10, 2008
    ^^ Thanks, I made the change in my domain policy for future use. :)

10. schapie1978

schapie1978 MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2014
    I know this is an old thread, but I'd just like to add that for me the problem was solved by uninstalling update kb2966828. (If you have them, you should also uninstall kb2966826 and kb2966827).

Then I used the dism method of installing and finally succeeded.

11. AndreWin81

AndreWin81 MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2014
    #11 AndreWin81, Oct 17, 2014
    Yes you can install NetFX3 on a system with multiple language packs

You can add multiple sources in the command, provided you have the source ISOs for all languages:

Code:
    C:\>dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:netfx3 /all /source:D:\sources\sxs /source:E:\sources\sxs
    Or from Powershell
    Code:
    PS C:\> Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName "NETfx3" -Source "D:\sources\SXS","E:\sources\sxs"