.NET Frameworks on slow XP???

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Hannibal Lecter, May 19, 2011.

1. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter MDL Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    My XP is getting very slow only two months after clean fresh install---

My “Advanced Uninstaller Pro”, on my XP SP2 shows six versions of installed NET Frameworks, which I wonder if I need to keep…

MS .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
    MS .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Language Pack DEU
    MS .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
    MS .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 Language Pack DEU
    MS .NET Framework 3.5 Language Pack SP1 DEU
    MS .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

There is also an

MS Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP

My Computer is getting suspiciously slow again, so I want uninstall everything that I do not need….

Any Advice?

One more question though: Is there a general standard what should be clicked and unclicked when I go to msconfig?
    For example: On this computer at: system.ini and win.ini, everything is clicked “on”

Thank You

2. l2p2c2

l2p2c2 MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    .net 3.5 includes .net 3.0 and .net 2.0, thats why you see 6 versions.
    It should not slow down your system though... What are your PC specs?

3. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010

its an old HP notebook, I use it when traveling. Back home I use 7 with dazloader without problems..

But... basically, which of those six 'net' do I need to keep?

4. l2p2c2

l2p2c2 MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Depends if you have programs that need the .net framework to run.
    Probably not since it's an older notebook. You can test it by removing all the .net frameworks.
    If all your program's still work, you don't need the .net frameworks.

5. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    #5 stayboogy, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
    if you download and use many "unlicensed" and even some licensed software you are best off keeping the NET framework, especially if they are installed correctly and are working because if you have to download and install any portion of them again in the future (for some software to work) you could have problems getting them to install and update correctly. but they do not slow down the pc just by being installed.

is there any reason that you are still on SP2? this could be some of the problem considering SP3 came out like 2 years ago. having XP (and any operating system really) properly updated is the key to having a nice, properly running machine.

aside from being way out of date--run malewarebytes and a good, reputable anti-virus and spyware scan. infections are the cause of most speed performance issues in my experience.

aside from this, could just be lack of hardware computing power. increase pagefile size, upgrade the ram (can be found relatively cheap these days for older machines), clean out the junk and disable unused services.

then if you are still having speed issues get yourself a clean fully operational (for all practical purposes) XP micro/lite iso (most online right now have riskware hidden in them so be very very careful) and install--this will help with speed i guarantee it... if this is an option you want to explore PM me and i'll upload one for you.

hope that helps

6. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    which .NET

I certainly run a few programs that will require .NET
    My question is, which ones of the six can I delete. Or do different program suse differnet .NET versions?

7. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    different programs use different ones...

like i mentioned you are better off keeping them because you WILL run into problems in one way or another if you uninstall any of them...

NET framework is not the reason your machine is running slow--has nothing to do with causing performance issues.

maybe you should update your OS...

8. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    I simply happen to have and old trusted CD with that version, which I re-install about once a year. This is a german computer with a german keyboard, so the german version of the SP2 is most practical. I have not seen an SP3 and also: "If it aint broke... dont fix it..."

I have a perfectly fine Avast version and I run malwarebytes at least every two weeks... I even run an Avira live disc sometimes, because I also suspect some malware, but no one finds any...

I just now did "increase pagefile size", lets see what that does... Other than that, done all that, but disable "unsused services" is a problem. The explanations, what does what, are not really understandable, and after having to go back to figure out which one might have been involved, and re-installing the correct one, I stopped that...
    As you guys understand a lot more about this, and still no one has a new solution, I assume that you are correct about the hardware computing power, and I probably simply have to many programs installed. What confuses me is why the start up takes so long, as Avast AV is the only program in the start up list. Also Firefox takes ages to open, which I suspectis the 14 plug-ins?
    As I use that many programs an XP micro probably will not do....
    I will fly back home today in three weeks, and those problems will be gone again. I just like to understand and learn about those things a little better

Thank you, and everybody else for your help andyour time...

9. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    Sorry, this is probably my fault... but I have not the slightest idea, what you are talking about..

10. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    Good... I will not touch the .NET

This is a simple old notebook for travel only, it has 1,6 GHZ, 80GB HDD. My Win7 would not fit....

11. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    #11 stayboogy, May 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
    since you did a pagefile increase you should notice some minute gains in load times of everything.

idk my friend...

i'd run GMER (free, google it) anti-rootkit tool to see if you have a problem--just make sure all other programs are closed, AV is disabled, and let it finish as it will take some time if your machine is slow already.

slow startups are a notorious sign of infection usually. if you aren't infected you should check the "options" or "preferences" of all your installed programs and see which ones start automatically @ startup, or the services that are associated with them--not everything shows up in the msconfig startup box. try AUTORUNS (free, google it) to see exactly everything that starts when your pc starts and everything that is already running.

other than that i have no clue other than just being out of date, which if you have programs that were created within the last two years, or anytime after sp3 was released this could be causing some issues. i would just get it up to date before i did too much else.

sorry, i just don't know much more to try @ the moment, especially remotely like this. try these things and see. also standard cleanup like defag and registry clean (not CCleaner though, use eusing reg cleaner in my opinion; advancedONE and CC never did anything but screw my machine up everytime they were used)