Netflix sideload?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by phazer11, Jun 20, 2017.

1. phazer11

phazer11 MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2017
    Odd question. But I'm on LTSB and since it doesn't have the store (or cortana) which I'm thankful for, though it does mean that I'm unable to fully enjoy Netflix via my surround sound as the only way to get the Windows 10 app is via the store. I know there is a sideload feature in Windows 10 does anyone here have any experience I don't know packaging the Netflix app from a pc with the store and sideloading it in or somehow else making it work?

2. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Microsoft Edge is integrate-able into LTSB, so maybe the same is possible for Netflix, but Edge does not require the presence of Store and I am not sure if the same applies to Netflix. One thing for sure though - it will more than likely break file and component store integrity, as well as, cause problems or event prevent updates from applying. Such is the fate of LTSB - its greatest strength is its greatest weakness!

3. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    :rolleyes: Please stop comparing Microsoft Edge to just any ordinary app. Microsoft Edge is deeply integrated into Windows Home, Pro, Education, and Enterprise. Much in the same way that Microsoft Internet Explorer was deeply integrated into previous versions of Windows (arguably still in 10). This is why adding it to Windows LTSB or removing it from Home, Pro, Education, or Enterprise has many of the problems you have commented on (both here in this thread and repeatedly over & over in other threads). It is more than just a modern app.

YES. :)

If you see my signature, you'll see a link that shows how you can integrate the Store safely, without issue, into Windows 10 LTSB. If you do a search of this forum, you'll find a thread that shows how others have integrated a stand alone app, such as Microsoft DVD Player into Windows, including into LTSB.

All you really need is to obtain the Netflix app and sideline it in a similar manner. The best way to do this would be to install LTSB N in a virtual machine, add the store, then install Netflix. From there you could compare which files were added and know exactly what needed to be integrated.

4. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #4 GOD666, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    A quick follow up

Here is an example on how you can install Microsoft's DVD Player as a stand alone without the store https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-dvd-player-app-for-windows-10.63128/#post-1104102 My signature is an example of over 20+ pages and over a year's time of people safely adding the store (and even Xbox as an option) to LTSB without issue and safely being able to use Windows while upgrading too. I, myself, have done both. ;)

For you, it will only be a matter of getting a copy of the Netflix files. :)

The downside is without the store, which you're trying to avoid, is Netflix will not automatically update itself. That is the only issue you'll face since modern apps do update via the store. However, that will not negatively impact the whole of Windows 10.

5. phazer11

phazer11 MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2017
  6. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Can you integrate Netflix without Store? Modern Metro Calculator does not require Store, so maybe Netflix does not require it either?

7. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    If you can download a copy of LTSB N which has zero apps (and no extra media as well), you'd be better at weeding out what was added after you installed Netflix. ;)

Not all modern apps install via cab files as Microsoft DVD player did. Rather, I suspect you would need to track down the files Netflix added and then use the PowerShell, much in the same manner that I use to add the store. In fact, the script provided here can be edited to fit your needs (open it with an editor such as Notepad++ and you can easily follow how this would work out for you) ;) https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/add-store-to-windows-10-enterprise-ltsb.70741/

Netflix is independent of Microsoft's many dependencies and so, yes, generally speaking, it should work without the store. However, as previously stated, it would not update without it though.

My advice would actually be to install the store and keep it. You can download and even update the many free apps without ever logging into or using a Microsoft account (doing so anonymously). ;) But if @phazer11 really wants to take it that step further and add a little bit more work, they could still do it without the store. The only drawback would be of course Netflix will not update without the store.