Network access problems

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jesusmgtz, May 26, 2015.

1. jesusmgtz

jesusmgtz MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2008
    Hi again!

I've got another problem with Windows 10 build 100122, I can't access to Windows 7 (pro/ultimate) machines on my network, they are not into homegroup, they are business computers. When I try to access Windows tell me that I need permission. But if I go to other computer with windows 7, I can access without problems.

any ideas?

2. jesusmgtz

jesusmgtz MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2008
    Update:

I can access IF the account is local, NOT microsoft account

3. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    are u in a Domain or a local network?

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    From Windows Explorer (File Manager) use in addressbar 2 backslash (\\) and the IP of that Windows 7 computer like: \\192.168.1.100 follow by press Enter (what ever those IP are). You should also have DHCP enabled in Router. On Windows 7 computer Network accessibility and Sharing need to be enabled too!

If the connection goes true, an screen for Username and Password (for the Windows 7 computer) will come up and you've to key in the credentials.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jesusmgtz

jesusmgtz MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2008
    Hello Everyone!

@MS_User: Its a local network

@pisthai: I've tried to access via IP or network name and nothing worked. About the pop up window to log-in, nothing appears, it just said: "you can't access to this computer, contact to your network administrator" (and by the way I'm the network administrator hahahaha).

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you're an real Network Administrator, you should know what to do!

Start with your Router and it settings! Adjust them to the needed values! Try to ping the Windows 7 Computer using it's IP NOT the computers name and if that works, try to connect by IP again!

Post screen shots if that didn't works!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. jesusmgtz

jesusmgtz MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2008
    @pisthai: I have ping, I can access to the computer from other windows 7 computers (also from windows server) also with windows 10 but only if the account is local, but if I switch to a microsoft account, it screw up. DHCP, DNS and IPs are ok. Router are ok. Its something about accounts in windows 10, maybe I'll wait until RTM !

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Have you checked the Firewall and other Security Settings?
    Also, in Microsoft Account: is the account set as Administrator? And the Local Account: WHAT permission are set for those: User or Admin?

It really seems to be that you'd spoiled your Network settings.

Question: at time of install Windows 10, WHICH account you used for the setup: Local or MS?

9. zangxuma

zangxuma MDL Novice

May 16, 2015
    update Network access problems

10. jesusmgtz

jesusmgtz MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2008

I setup W10 with Microsoft Account, then when I see the problems with the network, I added another user, but this user I've choose as Local instead Microsoft account. I switch between users and if I'm in Local account, I can access to all computers in the network, but if I'm in the Microsoft Account, not.

I've tried with FW off, both accounts are Admin with UAC in "recommended settings" also in "never notify". Same results in both accounts.

I know, this is crazy. hahahaha.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    What's the Event Log tells you?

12. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Who reads those these days Pisthai That is oldskool haha :biggrin: but you are right !!

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you open the CMD as Administrator and type as command: net start [enter] and than Ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx which is the IP of your Windows 7 machine, WHAT is the result?

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The Old School has many times it's own advantage!!

15. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Very true had my own Compagnie for 9 years working with computers and can't count the times I needed to look at the events log ! :tea:

16. Shadykillas

Shadykillas MDL Junior Member

Mar 30, 2011
    #16 Shadykillas, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Ok if you are not on a domain the reason you are not getting a log in window is your computer is probably trying to use your Microsoft account for access as if it was a local account. To fix this open your run dialog box and type in
    Code:
    control userpasswords2
    you should get a user accounts window. From here click on the advanced tab then on the manage passwords button the Credential Manager should appear. From here click on windows credentials and then on Add a Windows credential. Put in the network address of the computer and what user name and password you want to use to connect to it.

Hope this helps.