Network Backup issue

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kaos420, Jul 14, 2010.

1. kaos420

kaos420 MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    ok guys this is driving me nuts. I have my desktop as my main pc for my home-group.. i have my 1.5tb external connected to that as well as a internal 1.5tb. now i have both drives set for advanced sharing everyone read right for my home group. i see them perfectly fine and can transfer data too them pics apps. no issues even music. but issue is when i try to run a backup from my laptop to this location for my one drive first off when setting up backup ask for credentials. i have no password on my homegroup. so i use my pc name and my pc password for my laptop, i start the back up always goes to 57% then fails with Error Code 0x80070005 - Access is Denied. wtf am i doing wrong lol. i can access everything on them under network drives in my computer. i don't get it. I really dont wanna have to set up my network passworded at home cause of fear my xbox 360 wont work right. i do alot of media sharing to it. can someone point me in the right direction here what i need to do to get backup working correctly? I dont know if it matters but i also back up my pc to this drive. but theres still over 800gb free.

2. kaos420

Jul 30, 2009
    #3 kaos420, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
    (OP)
    dude ive googled for ages . none of those suggestions work. why i am posting my question here bro. my drives show fine in my computer. why i asked figuring someone here has actual experience.I have already been there done that they are set for everyone as read write as i stated earlier.I think i figured out whats wrong. being i have mulitple systems backing to this drive for some reason even though the drive is marked as share everyone on home group . the folder windows backup image wasnt. i added the everyone group to that specific folder and right now its at the 57% and hasn't error-ed out yet. plus folders are apearing that were not there before. i will post what happens in end. from what i read the first time network backup takes a while on 7. so ill keep my fingers crossed.

3. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Maybe a file in use?
    Ran chkdsk on the drives?

4. kaos420

Jul 30, 2009
    no its still going but slow as all hell. since i started its at 90% now 24hrs later. but thats creating the first disc images of my drives over network. from google it claims its just slow.

5. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Even if you are using homegroup you must still look in the advanced sharing options. Look for something talking about "Password" and disable it if it is enabled. This is normal if you have the same password and username on both computers even if password protection is enabled. Lets say I have 2 computers, one be a server and the other a client. Both have the username of Sam and the password of MDL. With password protection the server will validate your clients username/password and if they match it automatically bypasses the security. That only applies for explorer though, not any third party programs. It is also possible that if you have a software firewall, it might be blocking it. I would check that out too dude. Good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. trolltamer2

trolltamer2 MDL Junior Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Just a thought!!! Is your backup drive formated to NTFS or FAT32!! most come default as FAT32 and thats a maximum file size of 4gb!! worth a check maybe?

7. kaos420

Jul 30, 2009
    i got it working was a credential issue. what i did was password my main desktop account. then instead of doing it with just user i tried \example_pc\example for the user and my password. launched and it worked. i wasnt entering in server location only user before. i dont know if that did it or the addition of a password did. either way it works now my first network backup finished last night. awoke this morning to see backup complete. :)

p.s password sharing was already off owner was everyone in security as well as sharing. still didn't work till i did above items mentioned.