Network not working in VirtualBox

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by WinFree, Sep 15, 2016.

1. WinFree

WinFree MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2016
    My network doesn't work in the VM so I don't have internet. The settings in VirtualBox is set to NAT and it has always worked before. This isn't the first time. Before I just needed to reset network settings in VM and did the job but now even that won't work. Tried to disable firewall on Host and still same problem. I haven't made any changes so I don't know what causing it.

Is there anyone know how to fix this?

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    There's a setting for "pulling" the virtual network cable. Maybe you did that by accident.

If not, it does help to completely shutdown the VM and then open it again. Saving or rebooting the VM does not help, must be completely shut down.

3. WinFree

WinFree MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2016
    The cable is connected and tried to shut it down completely but did not work. Can't figure out why it won't work?

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Well, NAT is the most basic option and doesn't need any driver. The only reason I could imagine is that VirtualBox.exe (or the process doing the networking) is somehow blocked on the Host...

You could try the other modes for a test (NATNetwork and/or Bridged). If you suspect a bug, asking in the VB forum would be the best idea.