Network stalling on longer streams in Win7? any ideas?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Gengar, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Gengar

Gengar MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    Windows 7 has been going fine so far, got it activated and such, but I have one deal-breaker... Longer http streams (large down loads, streaming video) have the tendency of stalling out before finishing. I've tried with both onboard lan adaptors (a marvell yukon and a realtek), and both of these have that issue. I have noticed this issue with firefox 3.5, haven't really tested with IE yet. Even with these stalls, the network connection doesn't go down, I can still view the web ok, it's just longer transfers are affected. I haven't noticed the same behavior on my win xp install on another partition. Anyone have any ideas what the issue might be?

2. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    If you open a command prompt you can change a few things it might help a bit.

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=enabled
    netsh interface tcp set global chimney=enabled
    netsh interface tcp set global rss=enabled

Those are enabled by default. You can set them to disabled and see if you notice a difference. Just make sure you reboot if you make any changes.

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  4. silvergate

silvergate MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    insufficient data so

maybe your firewall or av

or you have installed drivers for your network cards from windows update. dont trust windows update for your drivers.

just use the vista version of the drivers or go to their netcard website to see if they released win7 drivers.:)

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ silvergate, wrong i can assure you the info i posted had a lot to do with streaming of say video files and packet loss.

6. Klownicle

Klownicle MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    You are likly using a nvidia nforce networking. It is a known problem with nvidia networking there is a fix.

If your using it let me know and ill type the fix. Im not home so I can't look at the option on the card you need to disable in properties of the driver.

7. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    had to enable dca to get my marvel adapter to work properly