New Boot Menu is way too slow!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by dummekuehe, Oct 18, 2011.

1. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    When i set Windows 8 as Boot Menu it looks like it load half of Windows and then when I choose Win 7 it has to boot the whole Win7. It takes ages whereas when I select Win7 as default Start Option I get the regular Boot Menu and everything just boots as fast as before I installed WinDP.

Do you know of a way to deactivate the graphical boot crap? It's totally nuts when the boot menu takes as long to load as the operating system without that same boot menu.

Why boot into some kind of Win PE just to let you make the decision which full Windows you want to load?

2. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    I totally agree with you.
    You already answered your question:

3. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I think this is their solution to overcome the problem that when fastboot (or how is it called?) is enabled you can't choose a different OS. If you choose WDP in the menu it goes directly to the logon screen, almost without any delay, so windows 8 must be already loaded then.
    The question is: what happens if windows 8 can't boot anymore? You'd have to fix it first!
    "I'll do it later and use my other OS for now" just doesn't work anymore.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Yeah im not sure how this really works currently as it really loads Windows nearly completly then shows the that new "Bootloader" But it's not WinRE, but it's loading your stuff out of winsxs anyway so when your PC is to corrupted (screwed winsxs) then you can't Reinstall without a disc either way, so it makes no difference
    If you watched some random Build Videos you see/hear some things on how it's not final or how even the guys who made it don't like it as it is :) They don't like how it will Restart if you choose the WinRE stuff like Command Prompt, as it will reboot into WinRE, this is one thing they want to change, not sure if we actually get to see a change in Windows 8.. but Windows9 or 10^^ might do it a lot better.

And no it's not their solution cause of Fastboot or anything, it's just a Click/Touch friendly "bootloader" that does a little more than just that, but it works on BIOS too, Click friendly only works on UEFI and i think currently there are no Touch drivers for UEFI to allow "touching" the UEFI, one thing Microsoft wants to fix in their Retail slates, so you can use your Slate FULLY without the need of a keyboard, there is no point in having a UEFI you can access via Hardware solution but can not Touch cause of a missing touch driver o_O)

@Op, the new Bootloader really only works with Win8 best for now, as choosing anything thats not Windows8 will reboot the PC and then boot into into that, they have to work on that, it's not a good solution as it is, while it works fine, it makes Dualbooting quite a pain and slow, even accessing WinRE means booting W8 first then choosing Your recovery method... then it will reboot and do what it does.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dummekuehe

Jan 11, 2009
    there has to be a way to show the windows 7 boot menu for 1 or 2 seconds but still load windows 8 automatically after that

6. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    That will make it more slower

7. dummekuehe

Jan 11, 2009
    you mean the hybrid boot wont work without the new sucking bootloader?

8. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    Yessssssss.

9. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011
    No I have mine show me all the different OS systems that I have at the boot screen, Just after the CMOS loads. Just like it did before installing WDP.

10. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    Is WDP your default OS? If not the new Boot Menu will not appear.

11. mikedl

mikedl MDL Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Indeed, Nawzil, you are correct. Thanks! :)

12. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    You are most welcome mikedl.

13. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011

Yes WDP is my default OS

14. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    And you have the old boot menu?

15. mikedl

mikedl MDL Member

Aug 24, 2011
    #15 mikedl, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
    I did that when I first installed 8102, changed the boot order to favor Win7.
    Afterward, I had the old boot menu.
    I changed the order with EasyBCD to favor Win8 but I still had the old boot menu.

The proper method of changing the boot order, to favor Win8, and recover the new boot menu (without doing a refresh or re-install) has been posted here previously (I can't find the particular post at the moment so I'm sorry about not giving credit where credit is due).

A synopsis:

Open an elevated comman prompt (run as administrator) and use this bcdedit command:

"bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu no" (without quotes)

Alternatively, go to your system properties and follow the arrows below:

Chg.jpg