New Broadband...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jime1, Jan 7, 2017.

1. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Hello Brothers,

I currently have wireless broadband, which is very unstable.
    So I'm thinking about getting a new cable(DSL or coax tv cable) broadband connection.
    I assume you guys have experience in both the cases, So I want your precious advice on whether should I get the DSL or cable connection...

TYSM ! :)

2. RenesisXI

RenesisXI MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2015
    I know quite a bit about the xDSL technology, It all depends on your distance to the exchange (A.K.A Central Office) and the quality of the copper. If both of these are good then you will have a good connection.

If you are friends with a neighbour and he has a DSL connection you should go to his house and determine the quality via his router, a good quality router would display lots of facts about the line quality on the DSL status page.

If you can get a screenshot of that page we will be able to assist you further.

I dont know anything about Cable internet.

3. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011

So you are saying that DSL will be more stable and will have less ping ?

4. RenesisXI

RenesisXI MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2015
    Yes but it depends on how your ISP operates, you get two modes for xDSL, fastpath and interleaved mode. ISP's in my country force interleaved mode to reduce errors on bad lines but people with good lines have to request fastpath, fast path can cut your ping in half.

In dota 2 I got 30-45 ping on interleaved mode now i get 14-15 on local servers.

5. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    well if u live in a new build community all the cables and lines are new....your DSL speed and reliability is determine by the last 100 feet from the outside box to your home. now if u live in a old construction or old neighborhood your better of with cable in u have xfinity in your area.... good luck.

6. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    I live in comparatively new area.... the only DSL provider here is a Government one.. which is very notorious

xfinity is a bit too far for here, here I'll only find local cable tv providers or else the local wireless broadband (which I already have, and it sucks pee)
    the cable tv's might only be coaxial and not the hybrid (coax+fiber)

7. RenesisXI

RenesisXI MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2015
    Get stats from a neighbour. :)

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i had cr4p dsl back in 2004 and i went back to cable fast.. was worth extra 15$ a mo

9. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    So, according to your experience, cable(coax/fiber) is better...

10. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Sorry Brother, my neighbors don't have Internet connections

11. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I would get cable. I have cable internet only, and I plug the cable into my TV, and get many channels for free. I use TV as monitor only, download all I want from torrent. Verizon has more symmetrical service, but they suck. Best bet is to buy your own AIO router/modem to save ~$9 per month. It will pay for itself, and if service upgrades its speeds you will be covered if you buy a good one. Check on website or call for listing of what modems are compatible with the company.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. jeggg

jeggg MDL Member

Dec 30, 2016
    I have cable. I just did a speedtest few minutes ago. 16.18 Mbps Download speed & 3.35 Mbps Upload speed. I don't know if that is fast or not, but pages open in a snap! The service is very reliable and costs approx. $50 USD per month no contract. Inside full service also is available where you pay $$xx extra per month and they will not charge you if they need to do any work inside house . I own modem, and my router. Anything outside is covered no charge. I just have basic coverage outside only. I think the last time my service was down was July 2016 because of a node hit by lightning. Not familiar with DSL sorry , but I believe it uses phone lines. Good luck!

13. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    yes but new dsl technology has fixed issues.. not all isps have the vdsl or whatever is called
    www.dslreports.com

14. RenesisXI

RenesisXI MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2015

15. NeXtStatioN

NeXtStatioN MDL Senior Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Ah... I have optical fiber but here in France it's quite different :D

Anyway. I hate xDSL because, I guess, I wasn't lucky : I was 3.5Km away from the nearest DSLAM where I was plugged in. The copper of my ADSL, I have to say it, may have been eaten by rats (I started believing it) :D
    So... a recent deployment in my neighbourhood gave me the choice between Cable and Optical Fiber. I chose the last.
    For you, you'd better take Optical Fiber or Cable. Choose one of them if available, you shouldn't have any surprise after.
    If only you had a website like we have here for France :D https://observatoire.francethd.fr/

I don't know how much it costs in India, but here in France I'm paying 40€/month (42$) for 1Gbps/200Mbps Internet, Phone & TV.
    So. Yeah. Prefer Cable. Or xDSL if you don't have the choice (or money ? idk)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Alright !!

Got the Fiber BB from Local Fiber Broadband Provider.
    Its a single fiber cable, which is plugged in the TX port of the media converter.
    (The media convertor has only one port open i.e. TX port, Although it has the space and label of RX port, its closed)
    I got the 2 Mbps plan, speed for browsing is excellent !:tasty: Its just amazing I would say ....
    The download speed is not stable, but that does not bother me.

The ping latency is very low, but I get RTOs very frequently o_O...
    Even though, I haven't got kicked while playing online !! :g:
    Should I be bothered ??:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

17. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @LatinMcG sorry for my input but thanks a lot for this website very useful dude :)

18. NeXtStatioN

NeXtStatioN MDL Senior Member

Dec 29, 2014
    I would say it's better than nothing :D
    But for 2Mbps + RTOs that's strange... or maybe not :D

19. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try a not so busy server.. not google main dns server :rolleyes:

pingplotter might work better

20. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    w00t?? :confused: