New Build: Screen Randomly Goes Blank

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by idorace, Feb 25, 2010.

1. idorace

idorace MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2010
    I put together a brand new PC. Turned out pretty good except the monitor randomly goes blank. there seams to be no pattern. The build goes as follows:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 processor, Gigabyte GA-MA895GMT-UD2H MOB, 2 4 Gig Mushkin 1333 MHz DDR3 memory, Window 7 Ultimate, 500 watt PS, Nvidia GeForce 7300 video card, (I need to upgrade), and a WD 1TB Caviar Black HD.

All of the drivers are up to date, cpu never gets above 54C, normally around 48C. The monitor is an older Samsung that I have never had problems with before (I'm sure that is not the problem). The BIOS is set to load fail safe defaults. I have to do a hard boot to get running again. This also happens without the video card installed.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Could be a power supply issue. Check your event log around the time this happens.

3. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    This is happening probably because of a hardware driver conflict. If you can upload the minidump, I can try debug for you.Minidump Log
    =================
    1. Click "Start", in start search bar, input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
    2. Click the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".

3. Under "Write debugging information" section, make sure the "Small Memory Dump (128KB)" option is selected.
    4. Check if "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "Small Dump Directory" open box.

After the problem occurs and you reboot, please go to "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" and upload the minidump log.

4. idorace

idorace MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2010
    It just did it again, no mini dump file for today's date. Did all of what was asked above.

5. idorace

idorace MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2010
    It happened twice last night. I tried to attach the .dmp file and the forum said it was not a valid file. Do I need to convert it?

6. skylark

skylark MDL Junior Member

Sep 3, 2009
    I had a similar issue with system using a Nvidia GeForce 6200 video (think yours is old!). It started to occur after I updated the driver. Try rolling back your Nvidia GeForce driver and see if the problem goes away. That worked for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Ya, you need to zip it i think.