New certificates??

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by PSYB0RG, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PSYB0RG

PSYB0RG MDL Junior Member

Sep 11, 2009
    #1 PSYB0RG, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
    Yep, its the newb again, and for the record, I did do a search for what im about to ask, and nothing came up!

I just downloaded the certificates (from the repository), and noticed that some brands have the word "NEW" next to it. My question is, whats the difference?

I have an Asus Mobo (p6x58d-e), just flashed the bios (thnx ippytattoo) after searching for it for 3 days now, and was about to install the cert until i saw the NEW cert there. But after i flashed my bios, i rechecked with the slicdumpkit, and saw that it is saying its a "notebook". Now if there is no difference, i could care less, as long as MS says "validated" and i dont have to worry about my i7-950 shutting down:D

If someone asked this ? before, i apologize, i did search and didnt see another similar post!

Thnx in advance! Oh, 1 last thing, the certs from the repository that i downloaded says it was last modified last year some time, is there a new certs around the board thats even newer? I think the last one had 39 certs in it i think,

Off topic: Speaking of mobo & cpu's, Im about to start a thread under hardware (after i search 1st) to see if any of you fine ppl here would chime in & help me OC it. Just adding that in just incase some one is interested!

Updated: (oc thread here) http://forums.mydigitallife.net/thr...-with-Asus-P6x58d-e-mobo-amp-i7-950-overclock

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And what is the question?

Just use the certificate that corresponds to your SLIC & you are done

If there are any extra certificates found then they will be added. 39 is not enough to you?

Open certificates in notepad & see what difference there is

sebus

3. PSYB0RG

Sep 11, 2009
    &
    did that answer ur question?

actually, its more than enough, as i dont have 39 systems. how many certs isnt what im concerned with, only the difference between the new/old ones, and if there may be newer ones that havent been used 400 million times yet, like the older ones.

whats a notepad and where is it? lol,
    seriously, looks like alien technology that i still cant comprehend. but on a side note, i had already installed the NEW cert, and was already activated, i just was curious about it. thnx tho bud

4. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    New -> SLIC 2.1 Compatible Windows 7 Cerfificates -> Backward compatible with Windows Vista
    Old -> SLIC 2.x Compatible Windows Vista Certificates -> In some circumstances not compatible with Windows 7

The difference between New and Old is a bit tricky...i'll try to explain.
    For example when using ACER and ASUS systems with 2.1 SLIC you need to use a new certificate to successfully be able to activate as the digital signature in the ACPI SLIC table has changed making it unusable with old certificates. Other like DELL and HP work with both old and new Certificates

More info can be found here

5. PSYB0RG

Sep 11, 2009
    Thnx for enlightening me. I thought they both were different versions of 2.1, like maybe a 1st & 2nd batch, thats where i went wrong.

Knowledge cures ignorance