New custom built workstation PC

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by mohamedkamel, Jun 14, 2015.

1. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    Hi guys,

I'm in the process of building my new machine in the few coming months and I need your opinions re what parts I chose. This is no a gaming PC as I'm not a gamer, but sometimes when I find a good game no harm of playing it. So, this machine is my a machine for my work.

Also, I'm not using this machine for rendering videos or so, I use this machine mainly for my translation work. I'll use it mainly with Office applications, translation software and maybe some DTP work in Indesign program. I live in Egypt so my options are limited someway.

Please see this list and give me your opinions. Did any of these parts represents a waste of money and there's a better option? Are these parts OK with my needs explained above? Is there any parts better for money than the parts I chose?...etc

The parts list is as follow:
    Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H Socket 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core I5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor
    G.skill RipjawsX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 1.5v Dual Channel Memory Kit
    Seasonic M12II 750W EVO Edition 750-Watt 80 PLUS Bronze Full Modular PSU
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 750 Windforce 2GB GDDR5 (GV-N750OC-2GI)
    NZXT H440 Mid Tower Case (Black / Red)

Other parts like HDD and monitor, etc are already in my old PC.

Thanks guys!
    Mohamed

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #1. Does any of these applications benefit from highest possible IPC? You chose 'K' processor and 'Z' board. Makes only sense when overclocking, although i would never go beneath a 'Z' one myself :D.

#2. 750W PSU? that config only needs 450W.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    I have an Asus P8Z77-V PRO which I use for music production, and the onboard graphics works fine. Which is good, because graphics cards can be expensive and noisy.
    Personally, I'd hold off on purchasing a graphics card until I saw the way the onboard graphics card worked. If you're not satisfied, then you can take the plunge and buy the graphics card.

If you are, then you've saved yourself some money, which could be put towards, say, a solid state drive. :)

:MJ

4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Hi Mo your specs look good. I've always preferred getting a bigger supply than needed. Even if your not overclocking the K cpu's natively run a little faster & price wise they are olny a few dollars (if any) more.
    I agree with MJ, get yourself at least 256GB SSD for your OS. Your video encoding/editing will benefit from the speed of SSD...

5. rEApEAt

rEApEAt MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Good configuration, good advices. These are my two cents:

1. A SSD as your primary (system) disk will surely boost the machine's performance a lot, but a smaller one may do the trick. Do some calculations and check if a 120GB SSD would be enough.
    2. Being a translator you may need, at some point, to open many different dictionaries and/or documents at the same time. I think that installing 16GB of RAM is highly recommended!

6. qwertye

qwertye MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2015
    IMHO this is a very strong setup, but its a bit overkill for your specific requirements. You dont really need a cpu as fast as that, however id love to own this i5.
    The only imbalance is the psu really, a 500W is easily enough for you. Agree also with MJ and Flipp, an SSD is a must as the HDD will be a glaring bottleneck in your build.

Just my opinion