New HP SLIC

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by reginakampher, May 25, 2008.

1. reginakampher

reginakampher MDL Addicted

Apr 5, 2008
    #1 reginakampher, May 25, 2008
    Last edited: May 25, 2008
    Here is a new HP SLIC table and certificate retrieved from a HP custom desktop with pre-activated Vista Ultimate.

HP = "HPQOEMSLIC-CPC"
    HEX = 48 50 51 4F 45 4D 53 4C 49 43 2D 43 50 43
    OEMCERT CRC = 573FCB8E

As you can see it is almost identical to HPQOEMSLIC-MPC. The difference being "CPC" vs "MPC". I did a byte for byte comparison between the two SLICs and found that the PUBLIC KEY is the same but the MARKER is different (of course the header was also different as you can see). Interestingly, both SLICs use the same certificate. The key retrieved from this machine was the *R933G key. I tested it in VMware and it works. Enjoy.

Another interesting point. The OEM sticker on this machine actually had a different product key printed on it than the key retrieved from the machine. The key on the sticker was a OEM-COA Ultimate number. So, I don't get it. Why would HP install a OEM-SLP Ultimate then affix a OEM-COA Ultimate sticker on the machine. Does this mean the OEM-COA number is unused??

Attached Files:

2. iplexman

iplexman MDL Novice

May 14, 2008
    this slic can use in notebook HP or not?

3. ciscokid

ciscokid MDL Senior Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Thanks, Regina, this is great. :)

4. reginakampher

Apr 5, 2008
    #4 reginakampher, May 25, 2008
    Last edited: May 26, 2008
    (OP)
    It can be used on notebooks and desktops regardless of brand.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes, same story as Lenovo. Different marker, same public key, same cert.

A COA-SLP is a alternative licensing. Yes the COA key on the sticker is usually unused. But at this licensing model you have to activate against M$ server. I don't know if you are able to activate a second PC with it theoretically, since I don't know if the SLIC must be present as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. reginakampher

Apr 5, 2008
    Thanks for the info Yen. I also came across a HP laptop that was activated via OEM-SLP channel but had a OEM-COA sticker. This laptop had the HPQOEMSLIC-MPC slic which has already been documented so I didn't post it. I guess I'll hold on to these COA numbers and try activating it on a machine that has a "non-modable" bios.

7. ciscokid

ciscokid MDL Senior Member

Jun 3, 2007
    I'm pretty sure the OEM COA sticker's key can be activated on another PC and you don't need for it to have SLIC.

It works just like any other OEM COA key. The only problem is if you used this key on another computer and activate it and the person who owned the laptop were to format their computer and reinstall Vista, they would have to speak to a rep at MS in order to get it activated since the key would show as already in use.

8. nasa

nasa MDL Member

Dec 2, 2007
    To my knowledge, this has been the case since Windows XP came out. All of the factory installs use the same key (Royalty OEM SLP) and the sticker is "just for show" as usually the recovery CD/DVD includes the SLP key.

9. iplexman

iplexman MDL Novice

May 14, 2008
    dear all, I can't to use this file to update my HP 2210 notebook until now is un activate do you have another way to do that
    thank you very much

10. reginakampher

Apr 5, 2008
    Need more detailed information.

11. iplexman

iplexman MDL Novice

May 14, 2008
    I use file from the first page "HPQOEMSLIC-MPC" to add cer in my 2210b and add a key this right or not but now my 2210b isn't activate do you have another way to activate it thank you

12. reginakampher

Apr 5, 2008
    #14 reginakampher, May 28, 2008
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
    (OP)
    Can you check to see iif the SLIC table is present in your BIOS by using Acpiscope and make sure it is not empty.

Better yet, can you provide a BIOS dump in the form of an .ats file format from Acpiscope?

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
    #16 colinzim, Jul 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
    Since XP, OEM computers actually have 2 product keys. The COA key from the sticker can be used on ANY computer. The original OS can be installed with SLP 1 or 2.0 media, never needing the key from the side.
    I tested this just yesterday. Working great in Vista also. Some stores sell the stickers and throw a p4 computer in.

15. Tulisan

Tulisan MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2007
    I agree to this. My MSI Wind with XP pre-installed seems to have another key since at first boot up, I didn't even see the Activation icon and I didn't need to activate it. I made an image file of it using Acronis then reinstalled XP using the key in the sticker, and sure enough, I needed to activate it at first boot up. Now, the question is, how do we extract that Royalty OEM SLP key? I can always restore the image file and look in it. Or, I can restore XP from the recovery disc iso. I just don't know how to extract it, or if it's even possible since I read somewhere that it's encrypted. It's xp sp3 already by the way.

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You can extract the royalty key by using Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder (from your activated system.)

Also at your recovery ISO, there should be a WINNT.SIF for unattended install. Locate it and open it with notepad. The key is stored there in clear text.

M$ has canged this at SP3:

"As in Windows Server 2003 SP2 and Windows Vista, users can now complete operating system installation without providing a product key during a full, integrated installation of Windows XP SP3. The operating system will prompt the user for a product key later as part of Genuine Advantage.
    As with previous service packs, no product key is requested or required when installing Windows XP SP3 using the update package available through Microsoft Update."

The COA key doesn't activate against the OEM string at XP or SLIC at Vista. Therefore you have to use the phone.

17. Tulisan

Tulisan MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2007
    #19 Tulisan, Jul 16, 2008

I meant what I have is an XP install with sp3 already integrated.

Also, the recovery cd provided by MSI is a bit unique. It has the WIM image file already and a sort of Vista bootloader type, and not the ordinary xp type recovery cd, that's why I don't have the i386 folder or the SIF text file in it. So when you boot from recovery dvd, it boots much like Vista install disk, then install the wim file much like what vista does. Pretty neat.

See the file structure from the attach pic?

Attached Files:

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #20 Yen, Jul 16, 2008
    Yes, *.wim files are used by Vista. But IMAGEX.EXE is on your DVD.:) You may copy it onto your HDD partition where you need it.

You can mount the XPIMG.WIM and extract files from it if you want:
    Create a folder: e.g.

mkdir E:\mount

Now mount it:

imagex.exe /mount F:\RECOVERY_DVD\XPIMG.wim E:\mount
    F = DVD device

To unmount:

imagex.exe /unmount E:\mount

Also you can list details:

imagex.exe /info F:\RECOVERY_DVD\XPIMG.wim

Try to get the WINNT.SIF.
    Also you can try Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder

So your system isn't activated after restoring it with this recovery disk???:confused:
    You have to use the COA-key for re-activation?