New install: Win7x64SP1, a problem...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Tex Arcana, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Tex Arcana

Tex Arcana MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2010
    So I get my brand-new, activated win7 installed, and after getting the basic drivers installed (chipset, video, sound, and mobo utilities), I dialed back UAC to next-to-last level (paranoia?), then resassign the library folders. So far, all is well, it's looking good.

Then the fun begins.

I have the OS on it's own drive, and all the data on it's own as well. I dive into a folder where I had downloaded my programs to reinstall, go to install Firefox, and the UAC nag pops up... And hangs. HARD. EVERYTHING stops responding. And nothing can work 'til I go to task manager and kill the UAC box.

I finally rolled back to just after the video install, and pushed the UAC to "off", and tried again... and got some dialog box asking for either admin/password or my user name/pe, which was just a fail, because it would accept my login/pass, but do nothing afterward.

And that was 4am, and I was due into work at 10, so I gave up.

And now I ask thee, fine denizens of MDL, ye persons of great intelligence and wit: WTF is up wit' dat?? And WTF did I FUBAR??

TIA, folks...

2. DAz999

DAz999 MDL Member

May 19, 2007
    Did you do a reboot after disabling UAC, as you need to do that, you probably did, just thought I would mention it.

3. Tex Arcana

Tex Arcana MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2010
    The second time, when I slid the slider to the bottom: no. :(

The first time, when I moved it from "setting 3" to "setting 2": no.

And in both instances, windows did NOT ask for reboot (&, iirc, it never has)

4. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    #4 Snuffy, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
    seems to like you have a corruption somewhere. open cmd (right click run as admin) type SFC /scannow

PS: Several versions of SP1 x64 were corrupt... so make sure you obtained from a PROPER Site.