New laptop and issues when installing Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Winter, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Hi there,

So I've just recently picked up my new Acer VN7-793G with i7 Kaby Lake CPU and GeForce 1060. It originally came with Windows 10 installed which is kind of frustrating to me. I've decided I want to install Windows 7 as soon as possible. In the meantime I experienced some problems which seem very hard to solve.

My laptop only allows me to change Secure Boot to On/Off, CSM or Legacy modes are not available.
    Whenever I try to run the installation I get a 0xc000000d error. I've tried different ISOs available in the web, one worked fine but I got install.wim missing error.

Can someone explain to me how to make it work? I assume I have to make a UEFI bootable Windows 7 USB (only using USB, don't have CD drive). Tried using Rufus, UltraISO, Windows 7 Bootable program - no good.

2. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    It might help to pick up a portable cd/dvd burner
    which would enable you to install from regular dvds
    so you can avoid the complexity of getting your media onto a usb flash drive.

There are some youtubes out there dealing with the error you're getting
    I have not investigated them, but they seem to require a cd/dvd drive
    This thread might be of some help:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-7-on-kaby-lake-cpus.72636/

There are two issues here
    the first as you identified is the boot issue
    the second which you haven't got to yet
    is the issue of Win 7 drivers for the new hardware
    that may be a real problen too since there is some suggestion on the board
    that some manufacturers are making it difficult to use anything but Win10

...T

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    plug usb to the ESATA which is also usb2.0 on most dells.

maybe add usb3 drivers to w7 EFI x64.

4. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    LatinMcG@
    As I've mentioned, I'm using an Acer laptop - not Dell. There's no eSata port available.

Already tried integrating USB 3.0 drivers by using the program provided by Intel. Didn't help at all. I'll try integrating all the latest updates into ISO image.

Most YT guides only mention of solving the problem with already installed Windows. In my case I can't even proceed to the installation screen.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Did you try to manually integrate the usb3.x drivers into boot.wim (both indices)?

When secureboot is turned off, normally it should show the CSM/legacy bios option, but i am not familiar with the latest hardware (OEM).

But most important, does the laptop manufacturer offer drivers for 7?

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    The laptop manufacturer doesn't provide any Windows 7 drivers for the laptop but I want to look for them on my own. I think there should be no problem with finding most of the drivers.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    There is a reason they don't offer the drivers for 7, msft has officially stopped supporting windows 7 (and iirc 8.1) on kabylake/ryzen and later systems.

There are patches to get windows 7 to update, manual ones and simplix updatepack has the fix inside. But getting the proper drivers can be a problem.

9. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    If you want to run Windows 7 perhaps you should go to a flea market, and pick up a laptop there. A nice old one should run Windows 7 perfectly! :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  11. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Then how do you expect to install 7?

12. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    If you don't have this mode available you won't be able to install Windows 7 x64/x86 neither in GPT nor MBR partition styles. Ergo, no Windows 7 on that machine. Period.

13. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Well, I assume most of the team here are pros, so they know things or two. I expected you to be more helpful ;-)

Will try with Dualboot and install W7 on the second drive.

14. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    What is more helpful than telling you that you can't install 7 (and the reasons) on such scenario?

15. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Kaby Lake CPUs can work with Windows 7 after applying some stuff, so I thought using newer laptop with Windows 7 wouldn't be a problem either.

16. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    The CPU can work with Windows 7, yes. But the firmware won't let you install 7. Even if you put the windows 7 install.wim inside a windows 10 iso, after installation, when the actual windows 7 starts loading, you'll run into a major dead end as windows 7 will not load. And although desktops have some legacy support built into the firmware, most laptops(like yours) don't. People just don't want you installing windows 7 on Sky/Kaby or newer machines. I don't like it either, but that's the way things works today.

Some reading on the subject: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...gpt-bootable-iso-usb-msft.72740/#post-1308999

17. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Understood. Well, kinda sad you can't choose what you want. It seems I'll have no other choice but to stick with ugly Windows 10.

Nevertheless, thanks for your replies.

18. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    If you going to want Windows 7, you'll have to find an older model prior to the 100/200 chipsets

19. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Actually, I had one but there was no Intel SST driver (for audio) available, so they forced me to use Windows 10. I've already checked the Acer forums to gather some information, maybe someone had any luck installing Windows 7 but it seems there is no one.