New Laptop need help

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by caveanimal, Jan 16, 2018.

1. caveanimal

caveanimal MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Hi all I just got a new Lenovo laptop and would like to get some expert advise how to set it up the right way. Especally in windows 10,
    I am not sure what to uninstall or what I need to leave alone. Was thinking about uninstalling Microsoft office that came on it, and than do a reinstall . Is that a wise thing to do?

any suggestions all.

hope this is in the correct spot. if not sorry...

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    For some (if not all) Lenovo Laptops, it's mandatory that the Energy Management software is installed. That will handle the WiFi, Bluetooth, and other options.

If you face some problems with the already installed app, you'll need to remove the old install before installed again and/or install a new version. Check on Lenovo Website for the latest Version. You may need also to upgrade the BIOS to a newer version.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    First thing you need to do is make a full backup of all Lenovo's OEM partitions so you have the recovery build and OEM OS saved. You do not want to wipe Lenovo's OEM partition setup, recovery drive, etc. without having a full image backup of all of those partitions.

Aside from that being your very first step, I own a Lenovo P71, ThinkPad T430s and ThinkPad T470s, and they come with quite a bit of bloat. Generally you can remove anything that is not specific to the hardware with no ill-effects (i.e. trial software, etc.).

What model laptop did you get?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    That is usual normal practice. Get new hardware with Windows already installed, the first thing is to wipe the lot & install version of your chosing.
    Drivers on the OEM partition will be out of date, so no need to keep them (get current ones from support page). Restore image is the same s**t you just going to wipe so that makes no difference either

But everybody does its own way

6. caveanimal

Mar 9, 2009

Thanks for the quick response. I got the Legion Y720

7. caveanimal

Mar 9, 2009

Now I am trying to decide on an antivirus

8. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    That looks like a pretty solid gaming laptop.

I'd personally just clean up the trial software bloat and keep everything else as-is, then just focus on optimizing the OS for optimal performance using Group Policy.

9. caveanimal

Mar 9, 2009
    Thanks for the reply could you point me in the correct direction if you don't mind. meanwhile I will try to look for some posts.

Thanks again

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #12 Joe C, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I did a few lenovo's to fix and none of it had any extra software pre-installed, only the usefull apps (3) for maintenance, now i have a PEAQ (made by MEDION/Lenovo) laptop to fix, not even maintenance apps. Clean as a whistle :D

12. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
  13. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
  14. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I would never...ever...buy a Lenovo if what you say is the case. I immediately wipe out any computer after buying it and clean install then install the drivers from the manufacturer. Never a problem in 20 years doing this stuff.

15. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Personaly if the laptop works fine keep the partition config include the recovery intact ! If however it's faulty install nuke the partitions and start all over with a new install :) but you will proberly loose waranty or something like that. I don't think they gonne service the laptop after you do that ;)

16. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    They design the device around your specifications, insofar as to allow you to supply them with your own custom OS build for them to use for their OEM installation.

And laptops with more hardware features generally come with manufacturer-specific partition layouts to utilize whatever hardware features the buyer opted for. Base devices can generally be wiped clean with fresh installations of an OS to the end-user's liking; however, most business-oriented devices are set up in a specific way to utilize special hardware devices installed in the device. And considering probably 90% of people who buy higher-end devices do so for an optimal OoTB experience, there's not a top manufacturer who does not provide tested features for these devices (with the exclusion of servers).

Lenovo, Dell and HP use their own specific recovery partitions to utilize hardware features such as push-button recovery, one-click recovery creation and incremental backups that update the recovery drive at scheduled times.

There's a reason Lenovo and Dell are constantly ranked at the top of virtually every independent laptop review blog/website out there. Point being, for an SSD it takes about 3-5 minutes to image an entire OEM drive in case one wants to return to the OEM specifications at a later date, whether it's for warranty reasons or to resell the device.

17. caveanimal

Mar 9, 2009
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Some good advice. (Hope there might be more). I did a backup with Acronis and now I'm going to try and install MS office.