New Laptop - Omen 15 2020

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by scaramonga, Aug 9, 2020.

1. scaramonga

scaramonga MDL Senior Member

Oct 27, 2012
    OK, I'll be frank. I prefer LTSC on my systems, but these new laptops require UWP crap now, as in drivers, the lot. Am I gonna have to bite the bullet and go for the awful alternative? We know that stripping the OS breaks things, as I have full NTLite and know this fact. There is literally no point in doing so either, unless your not planning on doing any updates.

What choices/suggestions guys?

P.S
    This thing is full of s**t! as it stands.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    First talk about what problem you have, only then there is something somebody can suggest.
    Reading this here, it's impossible to suggest anything because you're only talking about your own problems, not your computer's problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dude Guyman

Dude Guyman MDL Senior Member

Jun 20, 2017
    I think I would make a backup image to an external drive...then wipe it, and dive in and install what I like and see how it works. I have seen a default Windows 10 install on a new laptop...and I almost barfed. Had to clean it up a bit for my Aunt. Had to shower after.

4. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    Install ProfessionalWorkstation. This is what I use, and I like it a lot.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Just install normal enterprise or education, use MRP to get rid off of most pre-installed UWP apps and you can set over 125 settings at forehand.

6. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    Second recommendation for regular old Enterprise or Education. I don't even bother removing most UWP apps. I just install Open-Shell and use win32 apps and forget the other crap is there for the most part.

7. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Why not install LTSC and add the store to it?
    It works fine. I've even downloaded the Facebook Messenger from it without signing in and it runs fine also.

8. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    This is what I do for friends and family when they buy a new Windows system.

1. Backup any keys they have for included software (usually none since its all trial software)
    2. Update BIOS and all drivers manually to their latest version.
    3. Use the following command to make a backup of all non-standard drivers -> dism /online /export-driver /destination:C:\drivers <- you will need to create that folder first.
    4. Use the media creation tool to create a bootable USB drive.
    5. Use this forum to collect a list of all current updates for the current windows 10 build.
    6. Integrate the drivers and updates collected above into the windows image you created above (several ways to do this).
    7. Boot to the flash drive, delete all partitions and install windows.
    8. Once on your desktop install any software you have keys backed up from and make a trip to windows updates to get Defender updates and to let the MSRT run. You can download these ahead of time but you are going to want WU to check your install once anyway so this is kind of a pointless step.

You are going to have to deal with things like splitting the WIM file or converting it to ESD but all of that is pretty easy to look up.

9. scandal1981

scandal1981 MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2017
    I have an intel 520 that uses UWP for it's display app and it just runs without problems on LTSC, I don't have store or anything like that

10. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    windows 10 Ltsc install uwp app driver

windows store are not necessary if you have working network , windows 10 if connected to network install automatically driver

11. 7_eleven.hell-hole_rider

Aug 15, 2009
    #11 7_eleven.hell-hole_rider, Aug 16, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2020

Yeah dreading that part of buying off the shelf too early... What a coincidence I just got one at the local best buy an "H" series this morning . Haven't even done the unboxing yet. Waiting a few days just in case 4800U series sku's appear. ...

edit: u series not to be for me yet, oh well maybe Holidays time so many stories shortages, intel bullying influencing , or whatever story of the day maybe in a month or 3 if supply chain isn't still all tru** scr***d up...

12. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    @Enthousiast - Best stop arguing, with high certainty, this is a bot or dedicated spammer.

13. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Reported it. Aaand, it's gone!