New laptop with win 8/ pulling my hair out....

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by test1.0, Jan 31, 2013.

1. test1.0

test1.0 MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    #1 test1.0, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    hi everyone, first post here.

Right i bought a new laptop, an asus k55a with windows 8 pre-installed etc, now asus do not provide an easy way to make backup dvd's ( they have stopped the recovery utility ) also there 2 manuals are completely useless, they contradict each other and neither way works! and right now im really pi**ed at how crappy there support is, ive had no reply about my queries at all!

anyway i have tried using windows 8 to create a recovery etc but the recovery partition/s are corrupt ( im not sure if this is because i went with what the manuals told me or it was just me trying to make a recovery disk )

what i really want to ask is there a

WINDOWS 8 ISO DOWNLOAD LINK ? ( MY PRE-INSTALLED COPY IS OEM, NOT PRO! IT IS X64 AND I HAVE THE PRODUCT KEY THAT IS BUILT INTO THE BIOS, thats another thing, wtf is with that? i had to download a 3rd party software to get my key that i bloody paid for!

so, WINDOWS 8 X64 OEM EN UK ISO Please.

thank you and i hope someone can help

2. test1.0

test1.0 MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    thanks for the reply,

right ive got a little further, i used easeus and cloned the install.wim files, i then used imagex to mount/extract etc so its all there and good on my external usb hdd.... now what?

any suggegtions please, i want to see if this works and reinstall my laptop

thank you

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    As redroad said, just follow my guide.

:hug2:

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I have reinstalled several times with Win8 Laptop, all I do is boot to a win8 pro dvd and let it installed. If I want pro, I need edit the iso but for core install, simply install non-vl win8 and it will activate without issue and have yet to have to enter a key. as far as preserving activation of an OEM, Im not sure why? Whenever you want to reactivate oem, just reinstall. Backup, just image the drive.

maybe I am not following ?

I did also buy the 3 dvd's from HP that cost around $16 usd for recovery, it so far has failed 2 out of 3 times lol

5. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    #6 Snuffy, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Directly from ASUS.
    Method One
    Using the Recovery Partition(on selected models)
    1. Press < F9 > during bootup.
    2. Press [Enter] to select Windows Setup [EMS Enabled].
    3. Select the language you want to recover and click Next.
    4. Read the ASUS Preload Wizard messages and click Next.
    5. Select a partition option and click Next. Partition options:

Recover Windows to first partition only.
    This option deletes only the first partition and allows you to keep other partitions, and to create a new system partition as drive "C".
    Recover Windows to entire HD.
    This option deletes all partitions from your hard disk drive and creates a new system partition as drive "C".
    Recover Windows to entire HD with two partitions.
    This option deletes all partitions from your hard drive and creates two new partitions "C" (25%) and "D" (75%).
    6. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the recovery process.
    Method Two

Using Recovery DVD (on selected models)
    Creating the Recovery DVD:
    1. Double-click the AI Recovery Burner icon on the Window desktop.
    2. Insert a blank writable DVD into the optical drive and click Start to start creating the Recovery DVD.
    aicovery.jpg
    3. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete creating the recovery DVD.
    提醒.jpg
    Prepare enough blank writable DVDs as instructed to create the Recovery DVD.

IMPORTANT!
    Remove the external hard disk drive before performing system recovery on your Notebook PC. According to Microsoft, you may lose important data because of setting up Windows on the wrong disk drive or formatting the incorrect drive partition.
    htt
    Code:
    p://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=K55A&os=8&no=1775

6. test1.0

test1.0 MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    does not work!!!!!!! same as in my asus manual!!

the boot start screen is completely different from what they say, theres no ems enable etc etc. there still using the same old win7 instructions, the wankers. this is pathetic, i might just tell them where to stick this laptop and get my money back! t***s, i should of stuck with acer, never ever had a problem with them.

"on selected models" no a1 recovery supported for the k55a!!! they need to update there website, how dumb can they be!

p.s if you google it, you will see other people found this out and are not happy.

7. todo

todo MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2010
  8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If Windows 8 was preinstalled by Laptop Manufacturer and the installation /recovery procedure didn't fit with the delivered product information, the appropriate way would be to return the laptop to the seller and demand a change or the return of the money.

If you had by mistake or what way ever done a wrong action which isn't covered by product warranty (read the related fine print in the manual), you may responsible.

I hardly believe that Asus would deliver a faulty system but not impossible! If I would buy a new laptop, even with an brand new OS, and would have problems to follow provide Recovery Procedures because the given information didn't match with reality, first step would be all times to contact the seller and place the device on his table while asking for to show me the working procedure. A Forum, doesn't matter how good that forum would be, would be one of the last steps I would go.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I guess google is OK, but I usually go directly to the web site per manufacture and get the info.... so No I did not see nobody was happy with ASUS guide line.

I have found in the past (customers) usually fail to read something properly..(not saying you can not read), going on customer usage since 1983, so maybe a little more info we can still help you...
    exactly what have you tried, write what and show pics of what... would help us. help you.
    have you tried the M$ control panel an made a backup. that way?... do you have a restore(system reserved) partition? do you know how to find the (system reserved part)? have you taken the Laptop back to the store where you purchased it and ask for HELP...?

10. Galileo Figaro

Galileo Figaro MDL Junior Member

Sep 6, 2010
    @test1.0

Try and cool down a bit.
    Most of us make mistakes when we're frustrated or agitated. I suspect this is your real problem.

I make my backups even before I've powered up the system for the first time. I boot my new laptop with a Linux distribution called Clonezilla, tailor made for cloning stuff. Then I clone my never used HDD. That way I can experiment and take chances. If everything crashes, I have an image on a NAS or a USB drive.