New monster PC, no optiplex.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by matt167, Jan 19, 2017.

1. matt167

matt167 MDL Junior Member

Oct 8, 2013
    I came here asking opinions on upgrading a Dell Optiplex 755 and the general consensus was it's a waste.

So, after some diligent research on bang for buck, I came across the Dell Precision Tx500 line and how they are cheap for a lot of power. Then found a deal on a T3500 w/ X5670 and 12gb ram and 1tb HD for $230 shipped, snagged one. Then I bought an XFX Radeon RX480 from Best Buy. ended up not being compatible and had driver issues, so returned and bought a PNY GTX 1060 6GB. Dell had it in a compatibility list so I knew it was G2G. Also stuck a PNY CS1311 SSD in it... Total cost at this point is $540, and it does game VERY well at 1080P. My monitor is 1080P/ 60hz so that's all I can test. I bet it would run most games at 1440P though.

Then I took the Optiplex and turned it into my plex server. Replacing a Latitude D610 which had those duties.

Then, because the Precision uses basically server grade components, I figured a tape drive to backup all my data would be cool. I didn't need it but, after just getting back into the tech world I wanted it. So I grabbed a PCIE 1x SCSI controller and a Dell Power Vault 110T LTO 3 external drive, that I'm now trying to get set up

But now, yea I can game on near ultra settings on most games I play at 1080P, and this is probably the fastest computer I've used ( I had been out of the loop since 2013ish ). I don't know exactly what all to do with it, now that I have it. I kinda did it, just because.. And this is the most I've spend on computer equipment, at least at once. My last computer was $550 with a GTS 250 and I built that one, using mostly mid range components.

BTW anyone know if brand of LTO cartridges really matter? Fuji's are $11.25 on Amazon, but other brands hover around $15-$20.. The savings is an extra cartridge every few cartridges, so not a big deal but it would be nice to spend as little as possible

Anyone else Overbuild/ Overbuy?

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    a tape drive?
    I think I would rather invest in a pcie x usb 3.0/3.1 card and get external usb 3.0 ports and back up with a usb 3.0 hard drive.
    More expensive but saves time in the long run
    Or just an external hard drive for back ups without going usb3x

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. matt167

matt167 MDL Junior Member

Oct 8, 2013

Yea, I know I bought a tape drive.. Actually through my teens until I graduated HS in 2007, my dad and I operated a true home network because it was something to do, and the network drives were backed up on DDS3 drive. We had at the time, 4-5 tapes in the library. We didn't have much and total storage was less than 200gb

Most of the data I'm backing up is backed up on a separate external also. This is really something to do, just because