New Partition, System Reserved and more questions

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Takezo, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Takezo

Takezo MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2010
    Hi!

Well guys, here's the problem:

I am installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits on my computer, and I wish to use 2 partitions. I managed to get to the disc manager screen at boot, where I formated and excluded the partition (disk).

In the first try, I saw that the system created a partition called System Reserve. Did a little search and found how to deal with that.

Ok, everything fine, going to install again.

At the same disk manager boot screen, I formated, excluded and created a new partition. It now has 2 partitions, System Recover (100MB) and Disk 1 Partition 1 with 465.7gb.

I excluded the second one so I could extend the first partition, but it became Unnalocated. Extended the first one to half the size of the HD, and formated both again.

The first one is now Disk 1 Partition 1 (but it doesn't have 235.8gb left, it has 235.7 left, something wrong I did? The files of System Recover are still in the partition? I saw the article here at MDL and it seemed that the guy had just all space of the HD, not 100mb used, even after format) and the second one was still Unnalocated.

I didn't know where to install it, so I installed on the second one, but when logging-in I couldn't see the first partition at My Computer.

Opened the Disk Manager at Windows 7, where I can create partitions, and saw the first one, but it didn't have a letter to it, so I named it E:.

It appeared at My Computer, but I'm not totally sure if I did everything right, and if it was better if I just installed the OS in the first partition.

What could I do here?

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    The easy way is to download a partition manager program - there are heaps - create a bootable CD - boot from it and delete all partitions already there and create what you want - one, two a dozen - whatever.

During install you simply highlight an existing partition and install to it and Windows will not create the 100 MB system partition.

BUT - You'd better not want Bitlocker later on if you do this - that is the main reason for the 100 MB system partition.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...