New Processors VS Old Processors

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by adrian2055, Mar 31, 2015.

1. adrian2055

adrian2055 MDL Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Hello Everyone,

After learning on another forum that my laptop cannot hold a processor which doesn't utilize turbo boost/turbo core technology I'm looking to get something different. While browsing eBay I seen the old Intel Core2Quad laptops and I started to wonder if the older processors work better than the new ones? I need a laptop with at least a 2.0GHz quad core procesor that will run full speed on all cores at all times unlike my current system. Before I buy anyhing I would like to ask you all if an older processor what I need? I mainly use my laptop for audio/video editing and I don't have enough space for a bulky desktop.

Thanks In Advance

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    If you do not care that it pulls at least 4x the power...

3. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Why would you want it to run at full speed all the time?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Are you speaking of Single Threaded Applications, adrian?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. adrian2055

adrian2055 MDL Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I need things to run as fast as possible when video editing. Not acting like a old school Pentium 4 laptop. Sometimes it can take 5-7 hours to convert a video to dvd format.

6. adrian2055

adrian2055 MDL Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Some maybe single threaded. I mainly use the tmpgenc suite for editing, but sometimes I use sony vegas and cyberlink color director/power director. xmedia recode is another one I use, It may be single threaded.

7. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    And are you sure that forcing it to full speed 100% of the time will speed things up? As long as you're giving the CPU work enough to fill all it's cycles it won't throttle down. And you're still better of with a newer architecture that does throttle when there's no work than with an older architecture that never throttles but does less IPC.

8. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  9. BoW_86

BoW_86 MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2013
    For this kind of activities, laptops are not the right choice, at least you'll need a i7 mobile 2nd generation and 16gb of ddr3 ram. You could go for a used model, and you have to remember that gpus are not so important in video editing or conversion, above all on a laptop, so don't search for a powerful gpu. And you'll need an ssd disk.