New proof-of-concept bootkit targets UEFI and Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by xscess, Sep 21, 2012.

1. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
  2. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    I was reading and yes, this could be the beginning of a new loader, the more definitive solution I was talking about.

3. JamesG269

JamesG269 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2011
    The comments at the neowin article are a hoot. As they said, this is not Windows 8 specific, it is not UEFI specific, it does not work against SecureBoot, and it does not work unless you grant admin access to the program they made. It's like leaving your doors unlocked, leaving your safe with your valuables set to the combination 1-2-3-4-5, then complaining when you get robbed.

4. Kronz

Kronz MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2011
    Most of Windows 7 kits get around UAC by simply getting the user to click "Yes" on the prompt, which most people happily do, because usually those viruses come bundled with something you trust and want and are already installing, like a pack of smilies, a new MSN messenger addon pack, or something else you'd rather download from a third-party site rather than the developers site for any reason.

5. cyberdoc888

cyberdoc888 MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2012
    just use mbr guard and that will stop any boot kit

6. vjott

vjott MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    A pack of smilies :biggrin:
    Honestly, I don't get people's obsession with fancy animated smilies that make noises when you hover over them. They're not really essential to communication. A simple smiley will suffice. An all those "cartoonify yourself" gimmicks and "this is not a joke, you've just won $10000000000". If you're silly enough to fall for them tricks in this age, then you deserve every virus that will infest your PC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...