New rig no power help

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by logicwatch, Dec 18, 2016.

1. logicwatch

logicwatch MDL Senior Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Hi Guys
    Happy xmas
    looking for suggestions please

I have taken receipt of a friends new PC that they have bought as new separate components and built it themselves it consists of the following :

GA-Z97P-D3 Motherboard I5 Processor with 16GB Ram
    Corsair 750 PSU
    Corsair carbide 400 case
    GPU ASUS GTX 1060

So far they have been unable to get any power to this rig ( nothing happens when power button is pushed totally dead no lights or fans etc. )

So I have stripped it back re fitted and checked the case power switch lead is on the correct pins on the motherboard.
    Have tried a new PSU same fault
    reseated GPU - CPU & RAM
    removed bios battery and refitted

The only sign of any power is one white led on the Asus GPU when plugged into the motherboard.
    I am thinking the fault must be a DOA motherboard ?
    any further suggestions to try appreciated

thanks in advance

2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Perhaps the power switch(power button) is not good. Remove the motherboard from the casing and test it on a desk. Use a screw driver to make the contact for the power switch.

3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Make sure that the main power connector connector is attached -AND- the +12V connector is attached.

It happened to me when I brought up my Asus MoBo.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Make sure the back of the board is not shorting against the case too (Use risers)

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    This.
    It happens quite often on first time builds. Remove the board from the case and place it on a non-conductive surface, leave the cpu/heatsink fan, memory and gpu if necessary. Connect the power supply to the 24 main power, 8 or 4 pin cpu power and graphics if necessary. Jump out the front panel header (power on) and see if this board will post.

If it does post, then check the boards stand offs on the motherboard tray to see if they are in the proper locations and nothing extra

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try without video card or hdds
    to force power on psu touch for a second the green and black wires on plug in mobo

7. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    i would be tempted to try a fresh power unit if you have one available. there is no way of knowing what they did to it..

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    he did try other psu
    =======================================================

ahh yes the classic 4 wires, 2 black 2 yellow

9. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    Hi
    Many thanks for all your replies
    I will try removing the board from the PC case and powering on my anti static mat.
    Is it ok to leave the cooler off as its some hugh corsair setup thing attached to 3 big fans ( never seen one of these before ? )
    is it safe to power up ( if it will ? ) for just a few seconds will it even power up if it detects no cpu fan or should I temporarily try and set this all up onto the GPU ?
    Also to try and power up do i just touch both power tabs + - at the same time with a screwdriver ?
    I really think this board is DOA but after replies regarding the above I will give this a try.
    Thanks again guys
    appreciate your support ;)

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #10 Joe C, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    1. Leave the heatsink/fan on, you should be able to pull out the board with it in place, Don't even think about running that without a heatsink on it!
    2. I personally would not attempt to run that with without a cpu fan
    3. the Front Panel header pin set ( + - )should be marked usually "PWR ON" refer to the motherboards manual to be sure and yes, if your careful you can use a small screwdriver tip to temp short the PWR-ON terminals to start the post process
    If this board has on board video, use that instead of a GPU = Graphics Processot Unit = Video Card (all the same thing)

11. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    No on board video its just a hugh pci express video card
    I will attach the cpu fan its hard wired to a hugh 3 fan assembly which fits normally to the top of the case but I should be able to lie this to the side of the board.
    Its all powered from a mini usb above the cpu fan which attaches to the usb header on the motherboard I guess with no power to the board it wont actually power any of the 4 fans 1 on the cpu 3 on the top of the case ?

12. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012

@LatinMcG: Yup. That got more expletives out of me than a busload of KKK goons :laie:

In my experience, it's the simple things that go wrong and drive you nuts.

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    well you can't check the board if you do not power it up, You might need to connect a different power supply to the board to test if you do not want to pull the existing power supply from the case. Just connect the cpu fans to the fan headers on the motherboard and do not worry about any case fans, hard drive or anything else in the case.
    I looked at the specs on that board and it does have an on board HDMI port that will work providing the processor has video support. You didn't list the i5 number so I can't tell what i5 cpu you have to support video

14. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    ok
    the i5 processor is i5 - 4460 lga1150 socket
    and to put you in the picture this cpu cooler setup is H100i V2 corsair
    unfortunately i dont have a hdmi monitor

15. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    @logicwatch

What is the outcome of your test?

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    That i5 does have Intel® HD Graphics 4600, so if you had an HDMI monitor, you would not need to use the graphics card.
    I was not aware that it was a water cooled ......You may need to get some thermal paste and a working heatsink/fan to simplify, or pull out the water cooler and use that but you'll probably have to pull off the heatsink on the cpu and clean it up, re-apply thermal paste, clean and re-apply each time you remove that heat sink. That diagnostics sux because of the extra work involved with having a water cooled heatsink on the cpu

17. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    will get chance to try out within the next hour

18. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    yep i didnt realize it was a water cooled arrangement ??
    great
    more complication
    I have thermal paste but looks like I will have to plug in the pci graphics card ?
    will the board not power unless this card is attached ?

19. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    In the meantime I have ordered another motherboard coming tomorrow.
    I will post back in around an hour once I have had chance to strip the board back out of the case and set things up.

20. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @logicwatch: Do you have more than one RAM stick in the machine? If the MoBo 'auto-senses' the Dram speed, more than one stick will confuse it and make it appear dead.